Flange Choice for Exhaust Build

Kim Haun

Supporter
So I'm in the process of building my bundle of snakes. I borrowed a friends Iceengine header design kit and am working away. I was trying to put everything together with one piece header flanges on each side but for a number of reasons I would like to cut the flange into individual pieces for each port. Does anyone know of a big down-side to going this way? The engine is a Ford 363 Windsor and the heads have the 3" bolt spacing. The flange will be 3/8" thick.

Kim

So I'm in the process of building my bundle of snakes. I borrowed a friends Iceengine header design kit and am working away. I was trying to put everything together with one piece header flanges on each side but for a number of reasons I would like to cut the flange into individual pieces for each port. Does anyone know of a big down-side to going this way? The engine is a Ford 363 Windsor and the heads have the 3" bolt spacing. The flange will be 3/8" thick.

Kim

If you are building a 180-degree setup like the original cars, it's basically impossible to assemble if each sides' pipes are welded to a common flange.

Kim Haun

Supporter
If you are building a 180-degree setup like the original cars, it's basically impossible to assemble if each sides' pipes are welded to a common flange.

Thanks, Bob. I'm getting shipped 3/8" flanges, will these be thick enough to use as individual flanges or should I try to source 1/2" flanges?

Kim,
If you cut up each flange into 3 diff pieces, it may make the system easier to build, but once you get a few heat-cycles into them, putting the system back on will be a bear to get aligned again....... (you would be amazed at how much they will move around)

Thicker on the flange makes them less likely to warp and leak....... Just an FYI from past experience. S

Kim Haun

Supporter
Kim,
If you cut up each flange into 3 diff pieces, it may make the system easier to build, but once you get a few heat-cycles into them, putting the system back on will be a bear to get aligned again....... (you would be amazed at how much they will move around)

Thicker on the flange makes them less likely to warp and leak....... Just an FYI from past experience. S

By heat cycles do you mean when they are off the car and being TIG welded or after they are on the car and have been heated from the engine?

Kim Haun

Supporter
I read a thread that was troubling in that I'm running electronic fuel injection and the oxygen sensor will need a completely sealed exhaust. I'm using slip on collectors that will probably leak a bit...any good solutions for this that someone has had experience with? Any kind of sealer would also have to not be too aggressive in case the headers need to be removed.

Kim,
I mean heat cycles running the engine in the car. Distortion on the weld can be controlled while tigging by welding small sections and allowing to cool before continuing. S

Back