Octagonal Screen on Oval Hole Panels

G

All, I have just installed a set of oval hole panels that were made by Mike Coates. They are a very nicely done set of panels in aluminum. I purchased some perforated aluminum screen from McMaster-Carr some time ago with the idea to use it in openings like the rear panel area, side scoops, NACA ducts, etc. This screen is nice in that I think it looks good and it has a 79% open area which is the highest of any of the expanded/perforated metals I have looked at. After considering many methods of putting the screen behind the oval holes, I chose bonding at Mike's suggestion. I piped a bead of Lab-Metal ( Alvin Products ) around the underside of the lip formed by the return on the oval holes. I then pressed an oval of the screen with a lip of its own down into the lab metal and used my finger to form a fillet and make sure the metal putty had filled into the holes in the screen. Following up with a small sanding drum on a dremel left a nice shinny metallic fillet around the return.

I had made and oval die and plug out of wood that allowd me to press squares of the screen down through it to form a tight, square lip on the screen. A little trimming with end nipps and a small dikes had a nice lip to match the lip of the return.

Here are some photos of the results:

RearPanelsAll.jpg

RearPanelsEngine.jpg

RearPanelsTail.jpg

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Lynn,

Those panels look fantastic! The car doesn't look too bad either!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

How about price? The panels, not the car!

Bill

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Agree, panels look great, I am intrested in putting mesh in nose, what do you guys think?

Lynn,

Panels look great. I would like to do the same. I have the louvered verision (Don't like em
mad.gif
). If you don't mind me asking, how much were the Oval panels? And how can I get in touch with Mike Coates?

I know ERA and the RF guys make them. I am curious to know what is mike's price
wink.gif

Jay,

I would advise against it. Lynn's screen that allows 79% of air through, would still restrict air coming into your radiator by 21%. That's way too much for a car that has inherent cooling problems to start with.
How's the car coming along, by the way?

Bill

FYI my MK-IV has a screen in nose inlet that is original and works. Thin wire forming 5/8" squares painted black. My Lola has the same screen. Does not hinder cooling and does keep leaves out of radiator. Rear cut out in MK-IV, Lola, and P4 don't have screens.

G

For those interested in the oval hole panels that Mike Coates made, please drop him an email at [email protected]. I bought the panels through GT Supercars, so I am not sure what the price from Mike would be.

I think you will find that Mike is a stand up guy and he will be happy to answer any questions about the panels.

As to putting mesh in the nose, one of the RF's that I think went to the US had mesh in the nose, and there is a photo of it on their website. It was stainless mesh and did not alter the cooling. This may not apply to other cars as I suspect are not created equal.

I sent Mike an email inquiring about a set of oval panels for my project a few weeks ago and have not received a response. Has anybody had any success in contacting Mike?

Thanks
Brian

Sorry, did not get your e-mail Brian #192. Please send again.
Your e-mail on this site is blocked for some reason so do not have your address and can't send you a message other than on this site.

Mike.

Brian,

He is probably busy building my set
grin.gif
. All kidding aside, him and I have been in contact for the past couple of weeks. He sent me a tracer for the rear panels, and I marked it and sent it back. I emailed him two days ago, If you want I can let him know you are looking for him.

Brian,

I got an e-mail from mike (below).

"I did not get Brians e-mail message for some reason and cant contact him as his e-mail on the Forum is blocked.
If you are in contact with him please pass along my addreass. [email protected]

Thanks

Mike "

Are you guys in contact now?!

Back