Ignition Systems for Carb Cars

Ron Earp

Admin
So, what is the word on ignition systems for carbed cars?

What are people running? Any must have features people have found invaluable?

I've got a Mallory small distributor that I can use, or something else if needed.

I figured I'll start my research. I used to use old MSD 6 series stuff a good while ago, things might have progressed quite a bit though.

Ron

G

Ron

The MSD 6 series stuff is still the most popular choice over here. I used to run an Accel system but that failed after 9 years of use so I have just put on the MSD and it is very good.

I know of one chap who has a multi coil system (four I think) but I don't know what make.

Crank trigger is a good way to go if you want to get that fancy.

One thing I like about the MSD is showing off the spark. It is like waking Frankenstein!

Malcolm

Hey Ron, Electromotive makes a crank trigger system that does away with the distributor. It is $750 and comes with the trigger wheel, pick up, coils, and does not need a lap top to adjust the curves. You can even run a MAP sensor to get vacuum advance. You can take a look at it here.

Hi Ron + all,
We used one of these systems on Roy Smarts MK1 GTD a few years ago when switching to Kinsler injection. It worked very well without any vacuum advance connection although the spark duration/power seemed less than with MSD setup.

We suffered from fouled plugs a number of times when mapping initially and occasionally when batt was a little low but otherwise it worked well. I suspect the later versions have been improved further.

Installation looks neat but requires some long HT leads.

regards

Paul Thompson
grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Wayne,

does it have to have a MAP sensor for vaccume advance, or can the advance be pre-programmed? Reason I ask is that most MAPs don't like indivdual runner systems, like Webers etc.

Ron

Back