Source for rear deck lexan/plexiglass:

G

I need to replace the rear lexan on my GTD as it has warped after 10 years of laying around prior to being installed. And yes we've tried heat and everything possible to bring it back but no luck. It' also scratched up pretty bad. Any help locating a US source greatly appreciated.

Ben

Ben, you don't need to form the piece for the back window/engine cover. It can be trimmed from sheet and takes the shape of the car when screwed down. I don't use lexan as it scratches even when wiped with the softest cloth. I use 100% acrylic for the headlight covers I make since it can be wiped with anything (except gravel) and it doesn't scratch. They do make hardcoated lexan called MR10 (or something like that) that is more scratch resistant but it is 4 times the price of acrylic. In my experience, the heat of the engine doesn't affect the plexi and cause it to sag. Due to the memory of the material, cool areas will always pull heated areas back into shape. That's why you couldn't reshape your old piece. It must be "submerged" in heat, such as in an oven, to fully reshape. This has been my experience anyway.

G

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I reckon I'll do it your way.

Ben

Ron Earp

Admin
Why not use glass? Glass rear screens are available from different sources and do not have scratching or warping problems. And only weighs 6-7 pounds more.

Ron

G

Ron, please permit a correction: the name American GT is going to remain with the group that was(is?) marketing the Sabre turnkey Mk1s with 351s.

Hester's new name is GT Supercars.

[ June 03, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Ron Earp

Admin
Wayne,

RF has them and my understanding, as stated some time ago on this site, is that they will sell parts to non-RF customers. I think they're made in Australia.

Lynn has another lead as well, I think John Hester with the American GT wants to use all glass as well.

I kind of like the rivet/screw look, but there is no doubt glass would be the way to go for a street/track car.

Ron

Guys, those considering glass better check that the rear window opening is "square". Mine wasn't so trimming plexi was the only way since its tough to trim glass.

I know this is an old question but if you are still looking for a rear deck plastic window try Fran Kress (412) 441 4275. He can supply a beautiful formed window made oversize so it will fit just about anything. They are so much clearer you will be amazed at the improvement in rear vision. Just make sure that you use long enough screws as these are slightly thicker than the original GTD supplied units. Fran also has light covers, steering wheel emblems and water expansion tanks. Not cheap but good stuff!

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Wayne,

Gordon has 10 front screens and 4 rear screens that are going through customs in the US as I write. He hopes to get them tommorow and they are FOR SALE.

Contact Gordon for one if you would like.

Best wishes,

Robert

Back