voltage regulators

This may seem a dumb question but I need to ask anyway.

I shall have to fit voltage regulator/stabilisers to Smiths gauges and the regulators supplied have 2 male and 2 female connections, the females marked I and the males B. I assume I can run 2 gauges per regulator, but how do I connect the gauges to the regulators given the connections as marked?

Paul, the Smiths experts here in the States are at Nisonger. You can call (and ask for Bob) at 888-781-6968 or go to Nisonger.com where I'm sure you could email the question.

Paul,

On a negative earth system, the +12V, or thereby, positive feed goes to the male connectors (there are two which is useful if adding it to an existing loom). The output of 10V is on the two female connectors. Its important that case of the regulator is earthed or it won't work at all.

I am personally experimenting without the regulator as I find that the Smiths gauge on my GTD fuel senders only reads to just over half full when its really completely full. I have adjusted the range of the senders directly but can't get a full reading.

Good luck.

david c

Paul,

You can run up to 3 gauges from one regulator (BR1307-00). (Smiths classic instruments).

The regulator outputs 10V but I have found that the fuel gauges only read just over 3/4 full even with the sender short circuited (i.e maximum Full level). I would be interested in your or anyone elses experience in this area.

Thanks for your input David.
I have spoken to several other people on this subject and have been given conflicting advice. I spoke to the guys at Mirage Automotive, a company working in conjunction with GTD Racing, who told me I can run as many gauges as I like off one voltage regulator. I shall bench test the gauges and let you know the results.

For general Info.
GTD Racing are a company set up by Ray Christopher and Graham Kelsy to give support to GTD owners. They, along with Mirage Automotive, cover for the lack of support/facilities from GTD Supercars. (Ray was the original owner of GTD).

Back