Racing Seats

G

Would regular sparco racing seats fit in the GT40 or is the car to low. And also, where can i find seats that would fit the car? I am planning on installing a 4 or 5 point harness so it would be nice if the seat had that capability.

G

Pard,

I'd suggest that you do a search of "all open forums" for seats as this is a topic that has appeared numerous times.

Luck

G

The only seats that I found like those you describe are Corbeau A4 seats. I am using them in my car. I have put pictures and URL somewhere on the forum here, but don't remember where. They aren't terribly expensive either; they have been $320 for a long while now. I did find a picture on the net:
a4.jpg

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I know it may be a bit late on this thread but I used seats made by Henry Atherton at HCA Fabrications and which were then trimmed by Trimmania in Reading UK. Henry was involved making the Saphire tubs when he was working at Adams McAll Eng in High Wycombe UK. The seats I have are in two parts ie a back shell [which is height adjustable] and
the floor 'part' which is basically just an upholstery execise. Combined with the 'eyes' for some ventilation they look absolutely brilliant(IMHO). I have Henry A's number if anybody wants it.
David Morton

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Certainly can. I am going down the work shop on Sunday so I'll take a camera. My next obstacle is to get it onto the site for you to see.
David Morton

Mistral,

If you want the best/original and you are ready to pay for quality and allow you some time, don't hesitate: Frank Catt is the place to order.

Rgds
Fred

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,
Its a hydraulic lock off on the rear brake line - it acts like a hydraulic handbrake
when you just push the pedal and lift it up.
Ideal for competition use when you have a grid that is up or down hill such as Spa in Belgium. You just flick it down as you engage 1st. It could be use as a parking brake - just.
Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Nice seats but none really resemble a GT40 seat. In the book by JS Allen, (car 1032 on page 58)it shows how utility the seats can be in a typical racing car. That doesn't mean to say that we need to conform 'downwards'. Have another look on page 35 (GT/108) - another example.
Incidently seats in early cars were dark blue and later cars black.
As an aside, on page 60 in the same book on page 60 is a chassis outside John Etheridge's works. Somebody , probably in the USA, is making chassis almost identical to the one in the picture but I can't find out where - anybody know.
Dave.

Don't forget that the original race car's seats were not leather or vinyl. They were a more breathable nylon-like fabric (nomex ?). I believe the Mk I and Mk III road cars were leather.

Back