Answer to question.

I should of made this part of the question . It's (c) It must have come as a great shock to them when they worked it out. Regards

In 1967 the rules that Ford gave out to everyone attending LeMans stated: "Remember you are representing The Ford Motor Company and The United States Of America therefore..."
A. you should only drink milk, Coca Cola, or water.
B. get a haircut once a week.
C. not kiss any French Girls unless they are your wife.

OK, OK, I'm biting.
grin.gif
What was the REASON for extracting the air though? Remove fumes? Maximise oxygen? Cool the driver? Demist the windscreen?

Page 24 of Hodges' book touches on the subject, refering to "ventilated seats" and "very hot cockpits" but does not elaborate. In any case, the extraction system doesn't seem to have been used beyond the early cars, but the seat holes seemed to have remained. Why???

Dear Chris
All of the above. The cooler the cockpit the easier to drive at speed hour after hour.
Driver comfort makes a huge difference in a 24 hour race. Ventilation without eating big HP was finally worked out in the MK-IV.Speaking of the MK-IV I recently had to change the brushes in my altenator. After 35 years they wore out. Damned outrage! I must have used the cooling fans too much...
Best
Jim

Back