Neat fuse box

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I found a very neat fuse box to fit in my car from Painless (a USA company)It has all the fuses and labels for most common circuits and also horn relay,flasher/hazard cans.It is totally pre wired with screw terminals up each side. It is very Professional and is going to make life a little easier in the wiring dept.
Regards Ross

Ross,

Is there anything available in breaker boxes rather than fuse boxes?

Have fun!

John

john i dont know if you are aware or not but you can buy circuit breakers that fit in blade style fuse boxes, they usually have long blades that can be trimmed, available at any part store and aftermarket fuse panels usually have alot of space between the fuses so they should fit no problem, they are about as wide as 2 normal fuses put together.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
John
I didn't see any breaker type boxes on the painless wiring site so the answer to your question is no.I've never felt circuit breakers are better than fuses in a car.I've only ever blown a fuse in a car when connecting a faulty trailer circuit.This is probably due to 30 years in the electrical/electronics industry.I always terminate wiring to minimize potential short circuits and use rubber grommets through bulkheads. I have seen some shocking, untidy wiring in cars and the owners generally have fuse blowing problems.
The way a fuse blows can give an indication of how severe the problem.If the fuse is black there is a severe short but if it is only melted with no blackening a mild overload has occurred and you can replace the fuse and try again.
Regards Ross

Eric, Alain, Ross,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into this and maybe I'll end up with a fuse box. That one looked great on the the site Alain mentioned.

My thoughts are that if I'm a 100 miles out on the road and my GT40 decides to blow a fuse, I'd like to be able to flip a breaker to (at least) get me back home so I can fix the problem. Even with proper wiring, it seems that fuses will blow once in a while.

I guess the alternative is to carry several extra fuses.

Have fun!

John

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
John
How neat is this
gt40.fuse1.jpg

Regards Ross

Ross,

That is QUITE NEAT! Thanks for the photo. I'll go with the fusebox when the time gets here.

Have fun!

John

I'm getting ready to order some parts and was looking over a back issue of "Super Rod", the Feb. issue. There was an editorial about a rather pricy unit that has just hit the market. Now I don't know how fancy you want to get, but this unit (7x7.5x1.5-inch), will do amost anything you can think of in an automobile. It will when programmed to do so, will:
open power windows an inch when the interior temp reaches a certain temp, or raise the sun roof to vent the heat.
dimming dome lights.
auto off headlights.
interior lights off.
memory circuits.
power mirror control.
and many other functions. It comes with 68 circuits( 42 standard, 19 switched and 7 auxillary switched ) 22 built in relays and 18 fuses.It can be optioned to include up to 106 circuits.
shocked.gif

The upgrades are packaged: sound system,remote control, smart doors, digital display,roof and seat controls.
Standard circuitry includes dimmable dash lights,built in fan relays, fog lamp circuitry, built in trailer harness, front and rear auxillary power points (for computer, diagnostic equip.), power door releases, power mirror circuits, electric clock (of course), Power top, hood and trunck lighting, ignition kill system with 3 code lock out, automatic brake lock, push button fuse tester that lets you know if the fuse is the resason something isn't working, and the list goes on. It comes with different wiring harnesses that match up to GM Ididit, and Flaming River steering collums. There is a digital display package that lets you access any of the functions and preset them to your liking. It even comes with a compass function.
The basic unit goes for $679, and the Digital display with allits functions is another $369, and the convience packages start at $199. We could turn our cars into "luxury" sports cars.
Bill

Back