Mallory dual-point distributor.

Does anyone have experience of this dizzy?

I had a problem last year when the engine quite rapidly developed an increasingly bad misfire. So bad in fact over about 20 miles it became undriveable and I had to stop by the roadside. It was eventually traced (with the help of my buddy Roy Snook)to a bad condenser/capacitor which had destroyed the points and although I thought it had gone open circuit I think it was actually a poor earth on the can.

Now today I went out for a short run and the misfire seemed to be coming back. I then cleaned one set of points and changed the other (as I have only one spare) but I still have a slight misfire (not regular but it runs a little rough and you can see it on the tacho). I should have changed the condenser too but haven't done so yet.

Are these distributors prone to problems, or is it simply an electrical gremlin (e.g. perhaps the Moroso 40KV coil blowing the condenser).

Any advice appreciated.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
The dizzy is fine --it's the condensor that usually gives trouble, specially if it's the Mallory one .Just use an ordinary every day Bosch type and you'll be cruising with confidence in no time -- I gotta tell you the misfiring,the backfiring, the cough and splutter is bloody frustrating until you realise that is all the problem was
cool.gif

I gonna try changing the condensor next. Last time I found the can of the Mallory had varnish on it (why!!?) and was not earthing properly as it is a mechanical earth connection via a clamp. I soldered a lead to the can and used this but if its gone again it must be the internals not the earth. I'll try a different make, Bosch if I can find one.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Have you considered a Mallory Unilite conversion. This removes the points and condensor altogether an creates an optical pickup. Into the jet age!

Yes, I'd like to get rid of the points in particular. I was going to upgrade to an MSD plus 6AL solution (total £500 for me in the UK) but I'll look at this option too, thanks.

Hi Frank,

I have the ballast resistor recommended by RealSteel Accel 1.3 ohms. What should the voltage be with the points are closed?

Cheers
David

Back