Fuel Senders

I purchased two aluminum gas tanks for my KVA GT-40 from a company in Florida that is not in business any more. They are full of blue explosive safe and are complete with fuel senders. The fuel sender consists of a aluminum tube about 5/8 diameter 7 inches long connected to a sealed Electrical Unit about 2 1/2 inches diameter and 3/4 thick with three electrical leads. The Electrical unit is secured to the top of the Gas Tank with three screws. I am trying to find out what type of sender this is (resistance or capacitence or others) and how it should be connected to a replica Smiths Fuel Gage.
There appears to be a small adjusting screw on the top of the Electrical Unit that may have been preset. Can anyone advise me what type of sender this is and how it should be connected to the Fuel Gage.

While I've never seen a 3 bolt mounting (we use the S/W 5x pattern), I suspect that the sender is made by Centroid Products, 386-423-3574.

The sender is all solid state, and doesn't show accurately with an ohmmeter.

With three leads, the black is ground, the yellow is the gage signal and the red is connected to a switched 12V power source.

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: Bob Putnam ]

Mike, there is a whole proceedure in calibrating this type of gauge. If I remember right; you have to put the tube part of this gauge into a glass of fuel ( not water ) turn the screws to adjust for full & for empty. Post this question on the FFcobra forum. Most of the builders there have done this.
wink.gif

Back