MSD 6/6AL to Smiths Tacho

Does anyone know whether a MSD6 or 6AL will work directly into a Smiths (Caerbont) Classic tacho or do you need the adaptor they sell with it? I may order an MSD billet dizzy and 6AL from the US and don't want to buy an unnecessary part.

Thanks
David Champ

Dave,

I have an MSD 6A and the English SW Tach. I had to use the adapter. It would not work properly without it.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I'm not sure what kind of tack, looks like a smiths or something English anyway, GTD uses with their kit but I just pluged my tack lead that would go to the coil into the tack input of my 6AL and it all worked the first time.

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: Howard Jones ]

Dave,
You can always contact MSD direct. http://www.msdignition.com/

I have found them helpful in the past when enquiring about bronzed gears etc.

Where are you thinking of getting your units from in the US. I used Summit and it worked out way cheaper than purchasing from Real Steel, even with the Gold Card
wink.gif

Brett

Thanks for the info guys, it looks like I won't need an adaptor. GTD used to sell SW (Stewart Warner) but I chose to use Smiths which I think is more authentic (maybe?)

The wiring diagram is crucial, thanks Bob.

Hi Guys, The Original GTD gauges were smiths, Then they went to Stuart Warners that were pulse sensing. Then they went to Voltage sensing (which you can hook right up to the MSD. The Caerbonts use Volt sensing too realizing that pulse sensing was no good for todays electronic managements.

When I used to build Cobras years ago, I used to go to the Scrapyard, hook out all the Jaguar smiths gauges, take them to a guy in my old town that changed them from 6 cyls to 8 cyls, changed the speedo to read 180 mph and re calibrated them for Cobra rear tyre set up, all for £40!! Those were the days! Now a gauges set is £400!

I will wright a book one day!

Cheers

Mark Sibley
MDA

YOu know its late when I spell write like wright!! Incidently, the are two GTD40 for sale on my site if anyone want details.

Cheers and goodnite!

Mark Sibley
MDA

Back