Spray on Anodizing

G

Its been a LONG time since I posted. I have been busting tail to get the car done and, at the same time, work has been unbelievable!!!

Anyway, POR has had it and now Eastwoods does too: a sprayable urethane finish that can make buffed surfaces look like they have been anodized. Some of you may recall the issues I had trying to clear coat polished aluminum and that makes me hesitant about this stuff. Has anyone out there tried either of these products?? Thanks in advance. - Lynn

I just checked out both web sites and didn't see what you're talking about. The POR product looks like a moisture-cured polyurethane primer that needs to be topcoated for sunlight exposure. What am I missing?

Lynn,

I have used clear Awlgrip (U.S. Paint Co.)
on well worn anodized aluminum parts of my boat,that have lost their shine. Awlgrip can withstand a VERY harsh saltwater and U/V environment for about five years, before needing to be re-sprayed.
It looks great, and if waxed and buffed, in a
limited exposure, automotive environment, should last for many years.

Bill

G

Here is the URL for Eastwood's new product:
Eastwood's Red, Blue, Green and Gold Spray on anodizing wheel paint

Here is the URL for POR's Color Chrome:
POR's spray on anodizing

Both also have clear coats for polished metal: Diamond Clear/Eastwood and Glisten/POR. If you do a search on "Clear Coat" or "polished aluminum" you will find several threads where I have discussed this in the past. Both POR and Eastwood's have many, many different products. Perhaps you just overlooked them Pat.

[ May 17, 2003: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

G

Bill, Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check it out as it sounds like a product that could be VERY useful.

Thanks Lynn, that stuff by POR looks very interesting. It looks like the light-shifting pigments the you find on some cars. It looks better than the other stuff as it is a catalyzed material. Might be fun to get some and try it out.

If you want to keep the sluminum polished or polished looking, you might try Zoopseal. It isn't cheap but according to the Zoops people it will withstand harsh chemicals and heat.They have a racecar that they say hasnot been polished all year and still looks great They have a web site and any hot rod shop ought to cary it.
Bill

Back