Front and rear clip restraints

Has anyone tried to mount the restraints for the front and rear clips. These are hold the clips open, or more correctly stop them opening too far.

From what I have been able to glean from the few pictures I have seen the normal method is to mount a pair of wire cables to each clip, one on each side.

Front - between the outside top swaybar mounting bolt and the inside of the inner wheel arches

Rear - between top shock absorber mount and the inside of the inner wheel arches.

Has anyone done this? At first look the cables look too long and likely to flap around and damage things when the clips are closed. Is there a better way or am I missing something?

Thanks

John

John,

Your observations are correct with regards to the location of these restraints, although I havn't used that particular setup for the same reason.

I'm in the procecess of determining a gas-strut type solution. Determining the appropriate locating points takes a little bit of staring and thinking (the front points were easy), but have yet to find units which will fit the bill (still looking).

If you decide to also go down this path and find appropriate units before me, feel free to keep me posted.

Chris

Thanks Chris

Robert Logan rang me and said that the cables work OK with the right mounting points and (consequentially) cable lengths, so I have tentatively headed down that path.

But the idea of gas struts seems very nice. Will give that serious thought. Where you buy gas struts of appropriate length may be interesting, but I did note some marine places seem to sell a range of them. Don't know about the price though.

John

Back