Canards and other options

Are canards via #1051, available as an option on the CAV?

Are the following also availble as options on the CAV?

Traction Control
Launch Control
Remote Entry
Electric Mirrors
Cruise Control
Full Imobiliser and alarm
Dead pedal
Removable Steering Wheel
Luggage Boxes

Or would these be something the dealer would participate in providing? Ian?

None of the items mentioned are "stock" on a CAV. You would need to work out there installation with your dealer of choice. The launch control and traction control can be had if you go with a Motec or Autronic type EFI computer. Most of the other stuff will require custom fab and istallation by your dealer.

I'm probably going to take some heat for this, but I think if you want a modern car with modern features like traction control, you shouldn't be thinking about buying a GT40.

Traction Control
Launch Control
Your feet are these controls.

Remote Entry
?eh? The doors don't even lock. It's a race car.

Electric Mirrors
Are you talking heated mirrors, which seem to be a uniquely Canadian thing, or remotely adjustable mirrors? In any case, the CAV doesn't come with any outside mirrors so you have to fit your own if you want them.

Cruise Control
That's steering, not driving. Enjoy every minute of driving it.

It does have a battery cutoff switch, and you can remove the handle and take it with you. But an alarm? This is not something you leave unattended (unless it's secured in a locked garage or something).

Dead pedal
There's really no place to put one. I rest my left knee against the bulkhead to keep from using the clutch pedal as a foot rest.

Removable Steering Wheel
If you unscrew the bolt and give a good tug, the steering wheel comes off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But a quick release is something you'd have to fit yourself (and as others have pointed out in other threads, this acts as a pretty good theft-deterrent, unless your would-be thief happens to carry around a matching steering wheel just in case...)

Luggage Boxes
Hey, I got your luggage box right here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 24171-luggage.jpg
    24171-luggage.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 368
Steve,

You sound like my father - a real meat and potatoes guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It also sounds like your idea of a GT40 is a simple, plain vanilla city car whereas I am looking to extract more out of it using it for touring and bringing it up to date with a few high tech features.

I see your point and could easily side with you in a flash. Perhaps you feel adding all these nonsensical options is in fact corrupting the 40 and it is. I am coming to a point in time that if I can afford a turnkey CAV I will no doubt be able to afford nearly any supercar yet the other supercars don't "turn my crank" like the 40. The modern "luxuries" on an oldie would be my interpretation of the ultimate supercar and this is what I wish to achieve by have a few if not all of the options listed above. However, there is a side of me that pulls towards having the simplest of 40s - no frills, gimicks, tricks or "wussy" features. Just get in and drive the damn car! Sure, I get it.

I will have this car on display and showcase it like Angelo has with his Gulf CAV in Ontario and I feel the neatness of having a few modern features on a classic makes for a nice WOW factor and a more enjoyable drive.

Don't forget a removeable roll cage, great sounding stereo, heater and air-con. Nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds as seen from my perch.

How about an 8,000rpm 500+hp 331? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Knighton,
As a new GT owner/driver, I can comment on my experiences so far.
Traction control/launch control-
I'm running a 351 CI engine with 400+ flywheel HP and torque, aluminum flywheel. 335/35/17 rear tires. No traction or launch contols at all. I have yet for the car to spin it tires on dry road from 2nd gear WOT on up. I have to admit that I haven't gone wild with 1st gear. No need to driving on the street, plus the tires are too expensive to burn off it. Wet road? I've avoided taking the car out in the wet. Even so, after owning a high HP motorcycle, you learn not to get over entheaustic in the wet with the throttle because they WILL spin the tires.

door locks -
I have locks on my doors, but to be honest, they would only deter people that didn't want to steal the car anyway. Realistically, all a person needs is a screwdriver to remove one of the side windows. A hidden transponder like Lo Jack or similar will end up on my car at some point.

dead pedal -
The car came with one, but I removed it because it was too close to the clutch pedal. Not much room between the fender well and the clutch pedal. It bothered me when using the clutch more than it was a help.

rearview mirrors-
Anything you can do would be a help. I put small outside mirrors on my car and can see....not much. To make matters worse, the state inspection station put the yearly sticker on the windshield right in the view of the LH mirror. OOPS.

cruise control-
would be OK for interstate driving. I haven't found the car to be that difficult to maintain at a constant speed. I've never had luck with any aftermarket systems due to high HP and touchy throttles. Wayne Presley advertises one with a gain adjustment that should solve this.

removable steering wheel-
I use a Sweet quick disconnect. I must say, at least for us tall guys, that it was well spent money to put it in the car. It makes getting in and out MUCH easier.

luggage boxes-
In my car, you can put a little in the door pockets, at the passengers feet(wife!), or in the front where a spare tire would normally go (don't have one due to pin drive and such a size difference between front and rear). What you could put in any of these places, I wouldn't call luggage! The only other area you could possibly put something is to locate a couple small boxes on either side of the transaxle/exhaust. These have been refered to on the forum before.

One requesite I had was to keep the dash layout as original as possible, but update the car with some new technology. EFI can be incorporated and mostly hidden. One thing I added was a small switch box on the steering wheel that does LH and RH turn signals, light dimming, and horn. All the toggle switches remain as original and functional, on the dash. Doing a lot of street driving, I would find the dash only switches to be cumbersome and user unfriendly.
I also added intermittent wiper controls. Again, mostly hidden except for a single black knob on the dash.

AC is a must.

Hope this helps!

Dave

City car??? Oy!

It's about recreating the experience as closely as possible, enjoying it for what it is and accepting its quirks and inconveniences. But maybe that's just me. I don't even like 17" wheels on 'em.

I'll give you air conditioning on a road car. Heating is there whether you want it or not. Roll cage, sure. The rest doesn't belong. If you like the look of the GT40 but want a modern car, buy a new Ford GT.

Hmmm... I wonder if J6 has cruise control?

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
Are canards via #1051, available as an option on the CAV?

Are the following also availble as options on the CAV?

Traction Control
Launch Control
Remote Entry
Electric Mirrors
Cruise Control
Dead pedal
Removable Steering Wheel
Luggage Boxes

Or would these be something the dealer would participate in providing? Ian?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you'd be a good prospect for the new GT? Seems like it would fit the bill except for traction control.

Ron

I don't think we should bash this guy too hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can easily see the desire for some of these features. It would make a good project for someone wanting to get his hands dirty, etc. Most of the stuff is available with aftermarket kits, etc.

Variaty is the spice of life! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve, I respect your ideas on how one should build his GT. But some of us like the gadgets and gizmos on our cars, me included. Roaring Forties has delivered a turn key GT with traction control, ABS, electric remote mirrors, and a bunch more stuff. If it's OK on a new Viper or Porsche, then it's OK on a replica GT in my book. You can build a GT to original specs but you still have a replica no matter what, so why not put in those things that make you happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have a tilt steering wheel in my GT and I luv it! It's nice to have the turn signal arm on the column. I hated that switch on the dash cause I would forget it half the time. I also have cruise and the remote mirrors. The remote mirrors are by far the best improvement to the GT next to A/C. Because the windows don't roll down these things make it way easy to adjust. Otherwise you have to have someone help you do it.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
No bashing intended just wanting to make sure he's thinking of all the various paths. The new GT has all of the bits he wants plus will offer more refinement which it appears he's interested in having on his car.

R

I don't know what the deal is with the mirrors - you set them once and then you usually don't have to worry about them again unless they get bumped.

I think I'd actually prefer the winky dink switch on the dash instead of on the steering column, but you could argue that's a safety issue in a road car. Or maybe it's just that mine doesn't cancel properly anyway so it wouldn't matter where they put it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You could colorize Casablanca and add a full Dolby 5.1 surround sound track, but you'd ruin the experience...

Hershal to the rescue! Thanks for the support! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am glad my post has summoned some great feedback. I would be perfectly happy with a bare-bones 40.

Dave,
I would run the same tire sizes. I little wheel spin here and there is certainly planned. Traction and launch control aren't really needed but with a Motec EFI, they are there regardless.

Ron,
I find the new GT grotesque, heavy and awkward looking. Not my cup of tea. The sexiness has been sucked out of the design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No worries about the "bashing" as I take no offence whatsoever. The feedback has been great and I respect every opinion. The GT40 is a "pure" purposed car/racecar - it is what I call raw. I little refinement a la Hershal and myself and you come up with a car that goes from raw to rare, which is how I like my steak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cheers!

Gee guys! I hope you all know me well enough by now to know I mean no disrespect or bashing. I see where Steve and Knighton are coming from. I lean towards Knighton but Steve has good points. It still boils down to do what makes you happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hey Steve, I'm a bit of a waxer so when I wax this thing I have a tendancy to move the mirrors when I clean them. It seem that no matter what I do, after a show I have to reset the mirrors because some kid or adult felt compelled to move my mirrors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Electric mirriors are nice if different people of different sizes drive the car (who would be crazy enough to let the wife drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ... just kidding honey).

You could always do like the Itilian guy in the Cannonball Run and just get rid of your mirrors. As he said, "What's behind me doesn't matter".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Knighton,

A blatent advert here !!!!

We have produced cars with ALL of the options you have requested.

We even have produced cars with ABS, LSD, A/C, AP Racing brakes, 3 master cylinder pedal box, MkII body work, 6 speed gearbox and we are working on a BIG BLOCK MkII at the present.

All of the above are fully developed (except the big block option) and all fit straight on to our chassis and therefore can be retro fitted.

Best wishes,

Robert

[ QUOTE ]
Knighton,

A blatent advert here !!!!

We have produced cars with ALL of the options you have requested.

We even have produced cars with ABS, LSD, A/C, AP Racing brakes, 3 master cylinder pedal box, MkII body work, 6 speed gearbox and we are working on a BIG BLOCK MkII at the present.

All of the above are fully developed (except the big block option) and all fit straight on to our chassis and therefore can be retro fitted.

Best wishes,

Robert

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW Robert, and on the CAV forum as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You Aussies got some rather big kahunas!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Must be all those pots of VB! Ahhh, VB, bring me back to my Surfer's Paradise days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

These options available right from the RF factory is really appealing.

[ QUOTE ]

WOW Robert, and on the CAV forum as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You Aussies got some rather big kahunas!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Must be all those pots of VB! Ahhh, VB, bring me back to my Surfer's Paradise days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is the LSD he has been dishing out!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Damn, and all that time I was thinking the LSD he was sending me was for the gearbox. Now I get it!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back