Attachment method for Dzus fasteners

What methods are you guys using to fasten your Dzus fasteners to the nostril panels? I was thinking about using two 8-32 flat-head machine screws on each plate, countersinking the exterior nostril panel and using locknuts on the bottom of each plate. For the S-bend wire in the front clip, I was coing to use 10-32 Helicoils tapped and epoxied into the fiberglass. Will this be strong enough or should I have backing plates on both sides of the fiberglass?

Howard Jones

Supporter
I would recommend that you make 4 backing plates to use on the interior surface of the front clip oposite the "S" wires. I made mine out of alum. and sort of a oval shape. Then I simply drilled two holes in them to mirror the "S" wires mounting holes. I used stainlees 8-32's with lock washers also.

This may be overkill but the whole thing comming off at speed would be really ugly. There is quite a bit of overpressure under there. Four small backing plates are cheap insurance.

That sounds like a good idea Howard. I was at the local speed shop this past weekend and saw some pre-made plates. I think I'll go back and buy some for the project.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Pat, Anything you can do to reinforce body attachments is good. Check out hood pin ideas for rear clip in other threads. This or somthing like it is a MUST DO. You can not leave it to the side clips alone on the back. Also use thru bolts/screws with backing plates and selflocking bolts/nutts for all body pannel mountings and latches. Do not use any sheetmetal screws for any of this stuff. You're on the right track.

You know I've even though of using some sort of leash attached to the nostril cover and clipped to the floor of the radiator exaust area as added insurance. Something you could reach down to from the exaust opening and unclip. I guess I'm just a worry wart.

I'm like you, I am even thinking about putting in either hood pins or dzus on the front clip to keep it down! I just feel like those two latches aren't enough.

The use of backing plates sounds good, especially if I can find some pre-made ones, because whatever I make up probably wouldn't look very good without a lot of effort. But the weak spot will still be the two screws that bear on the outside of the nostril panel at each corner. Backing plates would look pretty ugly on the exterior of the car.

Also, my panel seems to have some slop in the front middle. Anyone added a pin or something there?

Ron Earp

Admin
I'd hood pin it. Think I will. Saw some in the UK with that and not only does it look good it works well.

I think you're right Ron. Mark, I took up all the slop with a couple of hood bumpers out of a wrecking yard (late model Mustang), and than combined with the latches makes it good across the front. I did add some body filler across the front of the spider and the front of the clip to make things flow better. But I think I will add a couple of pins in the back center of the front clip.

Here's some of the front clip that I had to fill

Attachments

• 30362-Dsc05905 for GT40com.jpg
    30362-Dsc05905 for GT40com.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 520
Back