Finishing the interior of the door?

How have you guys finished the interior of the door? My DRB kit comes with nice leather door pockets but I can't picture what to do with the rest of the inside of the door. What have others done to give a nice finished look to the door (red exterior / black interrior) and how did they make the "seam" between the exterior color and interior edge of the window look "finished".
Any pictures / suggestions would help me with my plans.
Thanks

Colin,

My door panels are covered in leather, with the "leather pockets" set into a recess. Each panel is hinged at the bottom, and latched at the top, for access to the compartment inside. If you'd like, I'll post a photo or two.

Bill

My RF kit also has nice leather-lined inserts for the doors. As for the remainder of the door, I plan to finish it in the same color as the exterior (in my case, white). I think it'll look nice and clean that way.

Thanks Bill and Mark.
Bill, I've got the same door pockets. I would be interested in how it is finished around the window.
I too was thinking about finishing the inside of the door in the same color as the exterior - I just can't picture what that would look like with two extremely contrasting colors (red/black) and if not the same color how you make the "seam" where the two colors meet to look good.

Hi Colin,
I'm working on the doors on mine now. I'm installing speakers and radio(drivers side) in there and am building aluminum panels for the inside of the doors. After adding soundproofing and the requisite panels, I will then use leather/carpet to cover 1/16" fiberboard to complete the paneling inside. Lastly, I will make up a leather trimed "ring" to go around the whole door opening.

As to the paint (you seem to have beat me to the red/black scheme - what color red?) - I plan to paint the red color on the "inside" of the window opening only - vertical surface just inside the window. Then the rest of the door would be painted interior color or 2nd contrasting interior color.

As I get closer with the inside door panels I can send you pic's.

cheers

dave

Dave,

The inside of the door compartment is carpeted. The panel

has a simple piano hinge across the bottom,a satin

finish, stainless catch at the top, and a pull handle near

the bottom.

Bill

Attachments

• 34416-MVC-013F.JPG
    34416-MVC-013F.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,432
For you guys with two contrasting colors, you might consider painting the sill the same color as the rest or the interior (black), extending it into the area of the seal of the window, but doing it in a matte finish to cut down on reflection. That is what I'm considering.
Bill

Bill,
Could you tell us what kind of door mechanism and hardware you have. It looks much more functional than the sill operated one, and you don't have to break your neck trying to reach it.

Bill,

Do you mean the interior door release handle and hardware?

If so, it is a cable/bellcrank type latch. Two cables, one

for the exterior handle, one for the interior handle, with

a common bellcrank at the latch/striker.

It is very easy to reach, even with the harness on.

I like being able to make a hasty exit! You never know

when that may become a necessity!

As far as the donor car, I can't help you there. Sorry!

I can take some photos, if that would help you out.

Bill

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
The standard DRB interior door handle like Bill's is from a Ford KC Laser or Mazda 323 (late 80's / early 90's, I think).

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Hey Dave, I have been told by my wife that I need to consider the blue reds. Apparently she doesn't look good in the orange reds. I am leaning to a red that I saw on a Mercedes. I am considering painting the inside of the doors (other than the door pockets obviously) that same red. I just can't picture what that would look like. It would make painting the door easier I think.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Ford's parts bin is really deep - they probably used the same handles on heaps of cars. My Laser handles (new) cost about A$16 each.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back