New Authentic Looking GT40 Gauges From Classic Gauges

For those of us whi are planning to build, or are currently building, a GT40 and need gauges, Classic Gauges located in Michigan, now offer authentic replicas of GT40 gauges.I do not know the cost, but will call Monday and then post the information. Here is a picture from their webiste under custom gauges page 2, GT40 )

1090594990GTxcopy.jpg

Classic Instruments

Bill D

Good question Ben. I will call the company Monday and try to get more details. I tried a search on the Internet hoping to find some pictures of an original GT40's dash, but didn't have any luck. Maybe someone else with better resources and help us.

Bill D

Ron Earp

Admin
No they don't match at all. If you want original gauges use Smiths or Stewart Warner - both are still available so why not just get the real deal?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Does anyone have a reliable source for SW or Smith's gauges that they can steer me to...if the Safir guys have a whole gauge kit I will get them from them, otherwise I will be out looking. I would appreciate any vendor sources y'all have found reliable and fairly priced.
By the way, I got a photo of the car from Safir that shows the rear clip on, also the dash and rocker panels. They are still getting the front clip and doors to fit. The suspension is getting completed and they are also making drawings for the wheels which will probably come from PS Engineering. Hopefully the engine will go on the dyno in a week or two, and also hopefully the car will be here in March, so I can begin the process of plumbing and wiring it. I tried to post the photo but it was too big and I don't know how to shrink it.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
PS If you all are tired of looking at the photo showing all the body sections laid out on the ground, you're not alone..I am REALLY tired of it, too....

Ron Earp

Admin
Some are not shown. RF and I'm told through Gary that uses the electrical or mechanical Smiths depending on the car. The mechanical black face gauges are right on, as are the SW mechanical black face gauges. The speed you show above is good, but the one on the website to the right is not.

The electrical gauges Smiths has are nice, but they don't look exactly right but close. Still, IMHO they all look better than the VDO beasts that lots of folks seem to use - that red/orange needle stuff on white just looks out of place in a 40. But, then again I'm one that thinks >16" wheels are bad too, and I know it is an opinion and not everyone agrees.

Build what you like!

Ron

Looks like the Classic Instruments GT40 range is just a cool range to suit a GT40 replica. Not original, but very useful and appropriate set for GT40.

I actually quite like the left and right fuel gauges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you don't want original gauges, but still like classic look, then these could be a good choice. That's if they are priced right. They certainly would look original to most people.

Here is a picture of my dash with Smiths classic gauges and I agree with Ron’s humble opinion that red pointers of VDO gauges don’t seem to suit a GT40 as much as the Smiths do. The steering wheel is a temporary one.

Attachments

• 49965-Dash1.jpg
    49965-Dash1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 2,404
Bill,

These are basically the ones but they should have black bezels and the 200 mph speedo read mph not km/h.

For final authenticity you can have red 'condoms' over the internal bulbs for the red lighting. This helps to avoid hitting cows on the Mulsanne straight!

Picture attached of 1089 one of the last.

Attachments

• 49968-2003_0511_2.jpg
    49968-2003_0511_2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,188
Dave-

THAT is the picture I've been searching for - a closeup of an original. I like the look of the white pointers and black bezels.

Thanks everyone for the great help.

Bill D

Ron Earp

Admin
Keep in mind, for the right look you need the mechanical gauges that sweep over 300 degress of the face. The elctrical gauges do not do that. However, to run the mechnical gauges you might have to put up with some things you don't want - such as live oil hoses and fuel hoses in the cabin. But, should be safe, I have the same in my track car, they just must be braided stainless steel.

R

Ron

JIm
A real good source for Smith's Guages is a company in New York called Nisonger, I believe they are in the White PLains area, they have originals and also rebuild Smith's guages. It has been a while since I have spoken with them, and I don't have a number at hand but I am sure you will be able to locate them.
Good Luck!
Phil

The man to speak to is Andy Barraclough at CAI (Caerbont Automotive Instruments) Smiths new owners. +44(0)1639 732299. I spoke to him about a year ago and he had all the answers. The Classic series is very close to original. 1/2(half)V black bezel is closest but won't pass SVA test if proud of dashboard. Rounded Bezel is SVA compliant.

CAI website

Greengauges website

Old Smiths thread

Hope this helps

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
thanks, this gives me somewhere to start with. Safir think they may have a gauge set but are not sure. Did original GT40s have SW gauges? Those are available all over the place. Ron, I'm with you- I've had experience with direct mechanical gauges on boats (as in gallons of hot 30wt oil spilt directly into the flybridge console) I do not want the engine's vital fluids in the cockpit any more than I want my own vital fluids in the engine room.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Smiths Instruments

Finally got my instruments through from Caerbont.
It took a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to replicate the look of the originals but with some changes to incorporate extra measurements. I also decided to go with an 80mm speedo, as per some originals, although I now believe most had 100mm.

All gauges have half round black bezels to pass SVA. '1/2 V' is most original but will not pass SVA. Temperature and pressure are all mechanical giving larger scale deflection than electrical gauges. Originals were 270 degree mechanical. All are in original font, and have white pointers and red backlight as per originals. Original style fuel gauges and Ammeter are no longer available. I believe these are the closest available.

So either side of the Tacho I have gone for the oil and water gauges. In this case I decided on oil pressure and water temperature to the right, and engine oil temperature and gearbox oil temperature to the left, both twin mechanical gauges giving 180 degree scales.

At far left is the 200mph speedo, with no km/h and with mechanical odometer. I am using Porsche transmission which does not have mechanical drive so I am using an electrical to mechanical convertor to drive the speedo.

In between, instead of 2 fuel gauges and Ammeter, I am using 1 fuel gauge which will switch with fuel pump selection, fuel pressure, and Ammeter.

There was a problem with the red backlight (varying brightnesses) so all the gauges had to go back. They were then apparently modified to vary how far into the instrument each bulb is fitted, various different wattages are used, and they were sprayed white inside the casing. Hopefully they are all now about the same brightness.

Hope this all helps.
Pictures are shown from the right (RHD). I can arrange supply for you if you would like.

Attachments

• 100_1356.jpg
    100_1356.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 100_1355.jpg
    100_1355.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 100_1354.jpg
    100_1354.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 100_1358.jpg
    100_1358.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 100_1357.jpg
    100_1357.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 957
  • 100_1353.jpg
    100_1353.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 936
  • 100_1352.jpg
    100_1352.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 965
Lee, very nice.

The fuel and amps are a different style, which is a shame, but I guess you have to have what they can provide...

I'd like to hear what sort of money they cost for having these specially made (PM me if you prefer).

Cheers.
John.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Didn't the original MK Is use a "CAV" voltmeter? The Safir I had did and I remember Fran's MK I 1054 using one. And no, not the SA CAV!
Rick

Back