Autolite rectangular decal with checkered flag

My GTD will be painted in Gulf livery in a few weeks. I gathered all logo's to replicate the 1968 1075 chassis. But I searched every where for an example or a good close up picture of the Autolite rectangular decal with a checkered flag with something in the middle. Any help would be very appreciated.

Hi Gerard

I am also building a replica of 1968 chassis #1075 (good choice, but I am bound to say that!). I already have all of the stickers required to complete mine and the two Autolite ones you need I got from Ebay UK. The chap I purchased them from sell loads of period stickers and would be able to help you. If you go on Ebay UK and Item number: 7966820522 you should find what you are after. The size is also about correct in relation to the original. The chap that sells them is a nice guy and I am sure he would have no problem sending them over to you.

Regards

Simon

Oh I forgot to say,

He can also do custom made stickers if required (I got my Ferodo and Firestone badges from him aswell). Do you already have the Horse Shoes for the back and the side S badges?. These are a real pain to get right because it is hard to find close up pictures of the original car showing these stickers. If you need any help Gerard sorting those out send me an E-Mail.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Great info. I will order them. I replicated the S and horse shoes myself, as shown below. I only have to make the horseshoes with the correct color.

Attachments

• 67733-s2512005284.jpg
    67733-s2512005284.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 552
Hi Gerard

I must say that is spooky. If I were to take a picture of the Horse Shoes and S badges I have done, they are identical to the ones in your pictures (particularly the horseshoes!). I looks to me like you have worked off the same sample pictures I did.

I should hopefully have my car finished around Christmas time (fingers crossed). Please do post some photos of your GTD when it is done, I would love to see it. Are you going for the Gulf flared arches also?. I am debating this at the moment, and should go for them really.

Is there any reason why you did not go for the 1969 Le Mans #1075 (no.6) Gulf livery. Personally I prefer the no. 9 scheme (no offence to anyone on the forum who has the no.6 !!)

Regards

Simon

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Are either of you going to offer the horse shoes and other custom decals, I would be interested in a set for sure.

Sandy

It seems that we're on the same schedule. I hope to have mine back on the road in December. Just did a brake conversion and it's my intention to change/swap the engine also. I chose the 1968 version, because in my opinion the 1969 version is to crowded with decals (no offence). The car is already an eyecatcher in it's standard shape and I don't want to overdo it. I have almost all decals for the 1969 version. So, if anyone is interested, you can give me a mail and I'll send you the logos in EPS and AI format. With these files any local decal/print shop can produce the decals.

Regards,

Gerard

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Gerard -

Found this on EBAY, in the UK I think, many good stickers (decals) but no Horseshoes or the 's'

http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/sea...1&submit=Search

The Ebay store is "I Say Ding Dong Decals Stickers"

The DO have your Square Autolite!

Maybe this fellow can make them up since he seems to have most every other one. He has some odd ones too, like the larger S.E.V Marchal and a few others.

HTH

Sandy

Hi Sandy

That is indeed the firm that had produced most of my stickers. The chap who runs the company is called Anthony Collins and is very helpfull. From the discussions I have had with him he could produce to a custom specification if required as he had done for me. I told I was building a replica of chassis #1075 and due to his involvement with historic racing, he is good friends with Jackie Oliver. So he was keen to help me produce what I needed. When my car is finished I will post some pictures of the graphics.

Simon

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I shot him (Tony) an email last night and he responded very enthusistically. He mentioned that he had been asked many times for the 'S' and the Horseshoes so I'll expect he would want them. He also said that it would be not too much of a problem doing them if the artwork was clean. I mentioned that someone I knew had very clean copy for the Horseshoes and Electric 's'. I mentioned that I would see if they were interested in passing them along for in exchange for some of the products. I think that it would not be a problem and is really up to Gerard or you Simon (The artwork owners) at this point. I would not send him any of your works in anycase without asking.

My preference is to let him do it so he has all of the set of GT40's stickers and possibly as special GT40s.com package. If not I'll likely have at least the Horseshoes and Electric 's' made if I can find someone locally that is not crazy priced to do the die cut and printing.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Kalun -

I think most are different for the GT40's. The Ebay fellow had a ton of the right looking ones, just missing the Electric 's' and the horseshoes. I think he would do them in a second if he had the artwork. Lot's of Gulf, and other Vintage ones that would be cool for the tool box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What did the Electric 'S' decal mean? Was it a company or something for the track safety folks?

Sandy

Hi Sandy

I have no problem sending Tony a copy of my "S" and "Horse Shoe" decals for him to replcate. It would make sense as he can supply all the other graphics required. As building a Gulf replica seems to be a popular option for GT40 builders it would most handy to be able to get the complete set from a supplier in one hit. I am sure he would be able to help out and perhaps give the forum a discount!.

The only thing about those two particular stickers is how accurate both Gerard's and mine actually are!.I did search long and hard to get close pictures of them. After seeing Gerards ones it would seem we worked off the same template. It's a bit of a shame that any fans of the 1968 #1075 don't have very detailed pictures of the real one to work off. When I saw what a good job Fred de Brae had done of his replica I was determined get get mine as accurate as possible. One thing I have also struggled with is to find out exactly what colour the background of the "S" is. Some pictures it looks yellow, others it looks more gold. Does anyone have the answer?

Simon

Simon,
Good question on colors for the "S".
I believe it was yellow but I am not sure if it was with dark blue or black.Mine are dark blue but looks like I am wrong.
As far as meaning is concerned, I heard two versions:
1.They are from a sponsor (?)
2.They reffer to the where to find the master switch(?)

If someone can confirm...

Tx
Rgds
Fred

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Simon -

I don't know if you have seen this photo but it is one that I had from I think 1051??.

For the 'S' what will happen is that it will be decided that Yellow is the color and a bunch will be made. Then immediatly someone will come out of the wood work with a clear photo of it that shows other wise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was messnig around with Gerard's 'S' and did it yellow and black, looks fine to me, but I don't totally care if it is off a bit, just really want the effect of the vintage decals.

I would say let Tony give them a go.

Sandy

Attachments

• 68225-HorseShoes.jpg
    68225-HorseShoes.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 703
in "The Ford that beat Ferrari" is the S stated as the Sylvania S, which is make of electrical components used in the GT40.

Back