Need Help With Paint Codes

I have decided to paint my GT40 as shown in the picture. I found it on Racingicons.com. It is listed as chassis 1051, but in my book by Ronne Spain, 1051 is Malibu Gold.

Can anyone help me with the paint codes?

Thanks
Bill D

1051P.jpg

Bill,
Great choice.
This was my screen saver and also the color I wanted to paint mine but decided to go with the lighter color because of the hot Texas sun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bandito.gif

Simon

Attachments

• 70288-63463-GT40-1051-1_2.jpg
    70288-63463-GT40-1051-1_2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 592
Hi Simon.

Do you know the paint code colors for the dark blue and orange as in your picture? I want to paint my car this color

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Bill

The new colours on 1051 could become the "Gulf Alternative" scheme. The wrap around stripe has become part of the legend, like a knights armour, however some guys have trouble with the powder blue.

Only guessing here, the stripe is Triumph Marigold Orange (as the Gulf cars) and the blue is what ever dark solid blue turns your crank:)

Also the white roundels really completes the look (numbers too if you can get away with it).

The Gulf colours are posted in the CAV forum section in PPG tints if you need them.

Cheers

Bill, I can't help with the paint codes -- never got that far. I do have the Gulf colors in a basecoat / clearcoat in PPG if anyone needs them.

Simon

I'm with Bud...assume this to be the "original" Gulf blue.
I read somewhere about the decision process to use the
light blue instead (photographic reasons) on the race cars.
Does the new Gulf Racing Book say anything about this?
I don't have a copy.

MikeD

I just read in the new John Allen book, TFTBF, a description of the paint code for the dark blue Gulf car color. I'll see if I can find it and post it up. The dark blue and orange scheme is what Bob Lawrence, the original owner of my car, was shooting for. He was going to use House of Kolor paints and ghost in the roundels and Gulf stickers. Would've looked great, but just wasn't what I wanted.

Chassis 1049, delivered to Gulf Oil Executive VP Grady Davis in metallic Diamond Blue, was later amended with an orange stripe. Unusual for a Gulf car, it was dark blue and had a regular stripe instead of the normal orange moustache. (Page 316, TFTBF).

Mark.
Do you know which car had the same color as 1049 but had the orange moustache rather than the regular orange stripe as per 1049. On the back cover of John S Allen's book it has a number 9 on the front.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Bud,

One could speculate that the first "premeditated" Gulf colour scheme is the Powder Blue / Marigold Orange. The inspiration for Gulfs participation certainly played out with Grady Davis's 1049 and the non original colours on 1051 (along with the wide wheels arches) really ad to the looks of the car.

I'm still twisting about doing a 1051 as a Gulf alternative, however it's hard to mess with sucess. Our cars are top left and bottom right.

Cheers

Attachments

• 72457-CAVJWAcomp.jpg
    72457-CAVJWAcomp.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 571
Hello All,

Has anybody found the color codes for that 1051 dark blue / orange combo? I'm definitely going with these colors for my SPF.

Thanks a lot

Laurent

Back