Attention: Door Catches

Brian Magee

Supporter
I thought it might be worth posting a warning here about the fitting of door catches. I have now come across three cars whose doors have been set to hold on the safety catch only. These have all been the British Leyland 'nylon block' type catches but might apply to other types as well. When closing the door there should be a first click before the door goes right home and you get a second click. You can also see this by pushing a screwdriver shaft or an allen key into the slot where the 'B' post bracket loop enters the catch and feel the two actions. This can easily be remedied by moving the 'B' post bracket towards the outside of the car. This is not a real safety issue because of the way the doors hinge and there is very little chance of someone falling out of a '40 if the door did open but this is a definate SVA failure. Also when trailering the car in reverse if a door comes open it does not do the door much good especially if you are just returning from the paintshop!!

Brian.

I'm guilty of this one on the first latch I fitted - having spoken to a friend of mine (Chris Hale) he asked if they closed on the second catch - I didn't understrand but did after checking - this is an SVA failure if they aren't fiited properly, good call Brian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif

Back