Help for those RF40 owners at the build stage

I thought that it might be worthwhile starting a proactive thread that could be used to assist those owners of incomplete RF kits. I expect that many of these owners bought their kits in the knowledge that RF had a very good reputation for after-sales support and to some degree relied on this support for advice during various stages of the build. I also suspect that at this stage, some of those people may now be feeling a little vulnerable. It might therefore be worthwhile reminding these people that there is still a very active community of RF builders that they could call upon for advice.

This thread could be a list of RF builders who feel that they able to help in some way. I would suggest that they do this by placing a post on this thread with a brief description of their personal situation and how thy might be able to contribute.

In this however, I am definitely not suggesting that anyone use this thread to sell items or advertise their professional services, and I am definitely not suggesting that anyone breach any laws by reproducing items that are protected by copyright, or that they publicly divulge any intellectual property that may still belong to RF. I strongly suspect that all RF protections are all still valid. Any assistance provided here is purely on a voluntary contribution basis.

I would also suggest that builders get advice from one or more sources, so minimizing the possibility of receiving invalid advice.

OK. I for one can start by letting people know that my car was built as a kit at home with minimal tools, has now been on the road for over 2 years and was built to (almost) total RF specification. I have taken many photos of all stages of the build and I am willing to share these photos with people when and if they feel that they need them.

Also, although I’m not claiming that I can recall every little detail of the build, I can say with a high level of confidence that the vast majority of the build, including the mistakes and also many of the tricks that I had used to fit the bodywork, is still residing in the recesses of my memory somewhere.

Note that I am not suggesting that my methods are definitive or that they are identical to that of RF, but they would be very similar in most ways to RF’s methods and I am aware of most of the things that I did differently.

Chris,
I would also like to be part of any network of RF assistance that is setup. I'm in the process of fitting the body with all the effort that that implies but have done a consideral amount of work to the chassie which is almost complete.

Peter

I'll help where ever I can. I just fit my body and it was a lesson in trial and error...lots of trials and lots of errors. Thanks to the guys that helped me with that one. I will be asking more questions than answering them. In fact I'll start off with one now.

What did you guys use for motor mounts? I did not see them referenced in the manual. I bought a 302 block and I want to begin mocking up the engine and transaxle.

Hi Chris and Peter, great idea ! It would also be intresting to know just how many RF kits there are still in the construction phase. I dont even know when , or who was the last person in the US to receive a kit to build .Jim Dewar's was after mine , dont know if there were others ??
Dan the engine mounts donot have a part number on either, I just checked. They are 1 and 1/4 inches thick (tall) at the rubber bonded area. I would think you could look at moustang ones and see if they are the same ??

Attachments

• 77660-P3220008.JPG
    77660-P3220008.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 591
another, sorry the pics are not very good, these things just kinda shoot like a blob , LOL

Attachments

• 77661-P3220009.JPG
    77661-P3220009.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 596
I will also be Happy to help in any way I can. I bought the basic kit (body, frame and some suspension parts) that was only offered for a few months. I have ordered some of the parts from RF and sourced the rest myself so if someone needs some help in figuring what will work just let me know.
I was getting ready to put in one more order for the rear deck louver and side windows when I read the news about RF. I made the rear deck louver last night so all I need now is the side windows.
I think I'll give Fran a call and see if he can help me out. I bet he is going to be one busy dude.

Simon

Attachments

• 77672-DCP_1425.JPG
    77672-DCP_1425.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 649

Ron Earp

Admin
The mounts, as I recall, are for a 67 Mustang, which is probably the same for many Mustangs in that era. I didn't have motor mounts and bought some at Autozone, fit like a champ. Look like the ones in the picture above. Just get some for a 67-68 302 and see if they work, I think they do. If not go for another year, but I bet they are all the same. Dan, I can send you mine - doesn't look like I'll be needing them!

Ron

I too have many photos of my RF build. All are shown on the 40 inches site and are readily accessible.

For side windows, just make a template from 3mm MDF and get everything fitting correctly, even to the point of drilling the mounting holes. Then, transfer to a sheet of 3mm Lexan / Polycarb or Acrylic. You will have to do 2 separate templates as I believe each door is slightly different.

I did not even mould my windows and they conformed to shape really well.

It is not a hard job, just take your time.

Happy to help where I can.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
They look like the replacement engine mounts I got a while ago for for the '65 mustang. If they are about 14 bucks each. The other thing is to check is TCP (Total control products) and one other fellow makes some nice fabricated adjustable mounts with a urethane bushing. I don't have the link for the other guy but I think the were a bit more adjustable and maybe less expensive.

Here is the link TCP version for 65'-70'.
TCP Mustang Mounts

They are a bit expensive and will not clear SVO Blocks screw in freeze plugs without some grinding.

Sandy

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
This is what is used at the DRB factory -- just fits in the same place the OEM ones do and much better for the GT40 IMHO

Attachments

• 77700-116-1604_IMG.JPG
    77700-116-1604_IMG.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 605

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
lots of early builders will remember Will Croll who worked at RF and not only was he Roberts right hand man but he designed and made a lot of systems in the car. He now runs his own business and is well placed to help anybody in the build stage.Will and I have built and maintain my race car but I have no interest financially in his business.I will pass on his details to anyone interested.I will also make myself available to help builders as I have a fair bit of knowledge of the RF car.
Regards Ross

Dan,

The mounts pictured by Dan. W seem to be the same ones I have, since we are located so close togeather if you should need to compare a part or I can arrange to send it over or we could setup a meeting, your choice.

Peter

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Very COOL 3rd Brake Light!

I want one!

Did you make it of buy it.I will be gladely to pay for another one to be made up.This is a very serious SAFTY matter being so low to the ground driving on the streets.

Oliver

That 3rd break light was 'standard' on the latest series of RF's. If you look on their website (while it's still up) you'll see it. Looks like it was integral to the rear clip; doesn't appear to be a 'bolt-on' accessory.

MD

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Jerry is out of town and i don't have a picture of the back end.. Ron do you know if 015 had one.
regards

Oliver

Back