Quick Release Side Windows

After cutting out my side windows ready for installation I am wondering if there is a way to make them quickly removable if the weather is too hot. After having a good long sit in the car and coupled with the rather hot weather we have on the Isle of Wight at the moment, I am trying to think of a way this can be done. I know that it is possible to remove the screws that hold them in and take the windows out but there must be an easier and quicker way.

I am looking at perhaps putting on some claw spring clips from Protex on the door and very small catch plates in the window. They are not very big so they will not look too out of place. Hopefully this will do the job and the window can then be removed in seconds. Has anyone done this before? Any other / better solutions to this problem. My car does not have air con, so I need to have maximum air flow or I will end up sweating like some farmyard animal if this hot weather continues!!!

Regards

Simon

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Simon,

Perhaps you could have a look at the MKIII window option that DRB (GT40 Australia) offers. In essence, it is a f/glass frame that supports a fixed "quarter window" at the front, & a hinged main window - hinged at the front, with a "flip-over latch" at the back. This lets you have the back of the window opened up about 90mm - heaps of air flow. But the really nice bit is that you can just lift off the latch, & then swing the window out and lift it right off.

I survived one summer in Oz with both windows out (before I got the A/C working) - a life saver !!

The attached pics might give you a bit of an idea - if you would like better ones, just let me know.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• DCP_0624 (Small).JPG
    DCP_0624 (Small).JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,124
  • DCP_0626 (Small).JPG
    DCP_0626 (Small).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,129
I've just retrofited the DRB MKIII windows.

I bought them after I went for a ride in a DRB GT40 with them. They are fantastic.

Can't wait to get mine back out on the road with them.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Just to add another reason to have removable side windows. Track work. I find it very nerve-racking not to be able to put my hand out the window to wave other's by. Ya I know.... go faster. But really it is pretty dangerous not to know if the guy behind you has any idea what you intend for him.

Peter, could you post some detail pictures of your side window frames with the windows in and out? Maybe I can make something for the drivers side at least.

I just finished hanging mine and made some pins with 1 in dia rings to pull on to pop them out quickly but I relly don't see much use for these windows, other than cosmetics for the most part.

It might be worth while just to leave them off!

Chris

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Howard - Your problem can be solved very easily ... Drive faster :) :)

I can't remember if it was on this board, but I think I saw someone how made drivers window that was almost all open, except in the front part a small bump (air deflector). I was thinking along those line, still have the window but it's mostly an open hole. Anyone else see that?

Sandy

Howard Jones

Supporter
I had mine off for about a year. I was suprised how little wind comes into the car at even high speed,<70MPH. It was fine except on those cool fall mornings with mostly overcast skys.

The cobra guys all look at you funny when you start talking about putting on your side windows because it was cold driving over here this morning.

I could see where you could get by without them in southern California.

I do like how the car looks with them on. They really bring out the old race car look.

Oh and I did learn one thing from my youth, someone will ALWAYS pass you.

Question: Are these small vent windows designed to allow air to escape or let air in?

Out would be my guess to circulate the cockpit airflow-

Chris

Thanks for the pics Peter, the Mk111 style is now an option I will now look at (BTW your car looks superb!). With the sort of weather you get over there I would think maximum air flow was completely essential. I feel quite humbled banging on about the hot weather on the Isle of Wight compared to Aussie and California!!. Thats the problem with us whinging Brits, its either too hot or too cold.

Thank you all for the suggestions regarding this issue. I really want to make using my GT40 a pleasure and I can now see that getting too hot may be a problem in the summer months.

One more question is how the hell did drivers race at Le Mans wearing a full race suit, crash helmet and not end up two stone lighter at the end of the race??????So on the plus side leaving the windows in could help assist with my diet.

Simon

A lot depends on the local climate, here is South Florida A/C is required, you have no choice unless par boiling is your prefered way to go. A/C equals windows no choice.

The other weather note here in Florida is rain. You can be standing in sunshine one moment and find your self in a Toad Choking rain the next. A Toad Choking Rain is when it is coming down so hard that you can not see 4 feet in front of you and the Toads have put on scuba gear. Now I have no intention of driving the 40 in that kind of weather but you can get surprised. you could also be displaying the car and be hit by hard rain, with the amount of tumblehome on the 40's windows you would have standing water up to the tank sills in no time.

Once I was at a show parked next to a Cobra when a storm hit. I helped him put a blue tarp over his car and he and his daughter took refuge in my trailer. When the storm passed we went to his car, the tarp had channeled the water into a bowl so that he now had a swimmimg pool were his cockpit once was. With the help of several other people we were able to bail out most of the water from the tarp untill we were able to lift it out without it spilling into the car. Cobra guys without tops are second only to Harley riders for always keeping one eye out for an overpass to duck under for shelter when out for a ride.

Peter

I've installed "riv-nuts" all around for the windows. Then just install them with 6-32 screws and plastic washers. if you use an electric screwdriver it will only take a few minutes to remove them or put them back in.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Howard,

Pics of side windows attached :

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• DCP_0673 (Small).JPG
    DCP_0673 (Small).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 4,629
  • DCP_0674 (Small).JPG
    DCP_0674 (Small).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 2,626
  • DCP_0675 (Small).JPG
    DCP_0675 (Small).JPG
    44 KB · Views: 976
Hot in England, Being faster, Florida rain

porsche93 said:
The other weather note here in Florida is rain. You can be standing in sunshine one moment and find your self in a Toad Choking rain the next. A Toad Choking Rain is when it is coming down so hard that you can not see 4 feet in front of you and the Toads have put on scuba gear.
Peter

Hot - I love the MotoGP telecasts when the announcer says its "BLAZING HOT" - at something like 80 degrees F, wuss boys... LOL

Howard- Reality is, unless your name is Schumacher or Rossi there is always going to be somebody faster. Just glue a hand to the outside of the plexiglass and attach some cables to give it that realistic don't hit me motion!

Rain - As a life long Californian, I had never been out of the western united states until one fateful business trip at age 28. Me and fellow lifer Californian 'Loren' rented a brand spanking new Mustang convertible for the hot 100 degree Florida SUMMER weather. Funny thing I thought about the Florida sky ... it's not really blue.... it's sort of gray. (Duh!) Well we go to lunch ...... at about halfway through the meal I turn towards the windows to have a look outside......much to my horror water was pouring down the glass in one SOLID SHEET !

I say "I'll go put up the top but your cleaning the car". As I do, Loren askes the little blonde waitress for a garbage bag to sit on - the girl presses Loren as to why he needs the bag, as he explains she looking up at him with with doe like innocence .... and once he is finished the teenager spews this jewel - "You're not very bright are you?"

I nearly die laughing everytime I think of that story.

As provincial Californian's we just could'nt figure out why ANYONE would live in a place where it RAINS in the summertime!

:)

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks Peter, I think I could come up with a homemade version using a standard lexan side window. How about making a drivers side with a large hole much like the original swing out small one. Then use a set of front hinges like yours and a single small screw and nut at the rear.

This would be something that could be retro fitted on existing side windows but just enlarging the hole.

Thanks again for the pictures.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
The original window surround frames from DRB came fairly well over-sized - outside edges & inside. It took a bit of work with the Dremel & the flat-stick to get them to fit the DRB door openings, & I would be surprised if they couldn't be made to fit most other brands (after all, they were all ripped off originals in the first place) !

I liked the whole appproach as I can just take the frames out & replace them with original MK1 type perspex windows if I want to do it.

Maybe you CAV guys can pool together & buy a basic set of frames from Peter Ransom at GT40 Australia to test fit. If they work, you could then buy the extra f/glass frame sets, perspex windows, aly window surrounds, latches, hinges, etc ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Cliff

You live close enough to Colin Dalzell to visit and measure his DRB windows.
Other option is to send a tracing of your window to the new West Coast DRB Agent...whose name escapes me at the moment.....

MikeD

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
MikeDD said:
Cliff

You live close enough to Colin Dalzell to visit and measure his DRB windows.
Other option is to send a tracing of your window to the new West Coast DRB Agent...whose name escapes me at the moment.....

MikeD

Mike, thanks, good ideas. Do you happen to know Colin's handle here on the forum? Is Colin somewhere in the northwest??

I'll see if I can dig up the DRB agent's name and try that approach as well...

Thanks again.

Back