Pre-formed blisters and bump-outs

I know this is a long shot but here goes. Are ther pre-manufactured bump-outs or blisters available that anyone knows of, for example are there a variety of sizes of "Gurney bubble" available in a catalog?

I need to bump my firewall ever so slightly, and being the lazy guy that I am, I'd just as soon buy a 1/4 sized Gurney Bubble and pop-rivet it in.

Yes, they can be made, but I'd rather be working on other parts of the build.

Many Thanks
Brian

Hi Brian, we make them ! BUT I would suggest that, as we do as a matter of course, you change the engine bulkhead panel for a double skinned aluminium unit, and form the "bubble" into that by panel beating. I have never really liked a glassfibre panel held in with self tappers as a protection between the engine and the occupants of the car. Frank

Brian

My DRB uses a bulkhead panel with integral fiberglass bubble...and RCR Fran sent me similar one for my Lola.

However if you want to stay with aluminum you may
consider bending up some ally and either riveting together or having
your local welder make it pretty. It doesn't have to be circular....no reason
it can't be made square, which is a LOT easier to bend. I don't know how
large a bumpout you're looking for....maybe something readily available
would work.

Take a look at Pit Pal Products - Home Page
These guys sell some really cool ally stuff.
Maybe p/n 3002 or 3003

MikeD

Malcolm

Supporter
Get a tray of sand and a round headed mallet and beat the c**p out of a sheet of ali to make a non riveted on bump/blister. To delineate edges of the blister, draw a face of least favourite politician/work colleague on the sheet of ali and stick to hitting just that. Not only do you get your bulkhead panel in about 1/2 hour, you are much less stressed. If it has to be double skinned, repeat process and bond together with appropriate sandwich filling.

Thanks for the advice guys, I should have mentioned that I want to use aluminum. At this point I'll probably go with beating an ali sheet over bean bag....

However, it would be nice to have an easy way out on occasion, I've done enough metal work to date to have built an airplane by now.....

Brian

Back