Lights & Glass

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Hi,

Prior to purchasing a CAV I requested information from NJ DMV on titling and registration. Some of the requirements are that all glass is either safety or "other" plastic material with, legably and permanantly marked, the manufacturer's distinctive designation under which the safety glazing material was approved. Secondly it requires that all lights have DOT or SAE lenses.

My questions are, does anyone know where to get the required approved gazing for the CAV and does anyone know where to get DOT/SAE approved lenses that will replace the CAV ones.

Thanks,

Tony

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Tony, you're probably OK with a CAV as-is.

To be specific, on my CAV both the front windscreen and rear windscreen are both DOT approved just as the car came from the factory. The front windscreen is made by Safevue and the rear is by Armourplate.

With regard to side windows, very few GT40 replicas (inc. CAV) have glass side windows - it's generally just some sort of clear plastic - so, you should probably check if this presents a problem (I'd doubt it).

Similarly, the lenses on my CAV are all DOT approved, again, just as it came from the factory. My CAV is a 2002 CAV stainless mono.

Hope this helps.

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the info, the DMV states that all glazing material have the manufacturer's mark/approval including the doors. Does the Lexan on the doors have any such marking? They also require that the Lexan headlamp and sidelamp covers be DOT approved but I don't think they have any markings on them, correct?

Thanks.....

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
My suggestion would be to remove the headlight covers and door windows and re install them after the inspection.

I am sure this has occured to you though.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Tony

If the DMV is anything like the SVA stations over here there is a really simple way.

Remove the side windows (they are mormally just screwed in and do likewise with the front covers.

It cannot fail if they are not fitted at the time of the test and any item fitted afterwards fall outside the test. (well that is how it works over here)

Lets face it you buy a new car and then decide to have roof rails fitted - would the car need to go through a DMV inspection?

Once passed refit the perspex bits and away you go.

Perhaps an easy route for the registration - if they ask what about windows say it is predominantly a track day car and windows are not allowed.

Cheers
Ian

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
UKTONY said:
Thanks for the info, the DMV states that all glazing material have the manufacturer's mark/approval including the doors. Does the Lexan on the doors have any such marking? They also require that the Lexan headlamp and sidelamp covers be DOT approved but I don't think they have any markings on them, correct?

Thanks.....

Tony, the door windows don't have any mfg stamp/ID on them because, again, they're generally just a flimsy piece of plastic. Ditto on the headlamp/sidelamp covers. As suggested above, just take these items off for the test and you should be OK. Good luck!

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try and remove the lamp and door plastic.

Next question is what mirrors to use, I've looked through the threads and haven't seen much on this. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at late 60's early 70's Camaro units with the cable adjustment and placing them as close to the top front edges of the doors as possible (following the hood line).

Any thoguhts?

Thanks,

Tony

I considered most of the bullet style mirrors and then saw a picture of Wayne Presley’s old car. As it turns out, his car and many other US GT40s have used the 1984 Mazda RX7 power mirrors. Compared to the bullet style mirrors, they have a larger view surface and are raised up and out on a pedestal to “look over” the rear fenders. They are electric so they can be adjusted from inside the car. I do not have the wide Gulf rear fender flares so the mirrors may be different on Gulf cars.

I got the mirrors salvage for about $150 and had then repainted to match the body. I think I ordered them from Mazda Recyclers ( ?? ) over the phone. The RX7 mirrors attach to the side of the door. I took a little extra time to make the bottom mount of each mirror concave so that it would be a perfect contour fit to the body. Each mirror has 4 wires. The two black wires go to the coil of a relay inside the mirror. If the relay is de-energized then the + and - 12VDC on red and blue control the left/right motor. If the relay is energized then the + and - 12VDC on red and blue control the up/down motor.

I hope this information is of help. Also see:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/tech-ext...shing/13747-door-mirrors.html?highlight=mazda

A few other forum locations also have pictures and comments. Good luck with your car.

Bob

Attachments

• 1984 Mazda RX7 Mirrors.JPG
    1984 Mazda RX7 Mirrors.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 352
Back