Bonded Fastners - No need to make body holes

Not sure if anyone has seen or used these but they look like they could be useful:

CLICK BOND's Mechanical/Adhesive Fastening Systems. Advantages of the Click Bond Products include; eliminating the need of additional holes with our nut plates, because you are bonding rather than riveting. With the cable tie mounts, standoffs, studs and posts no holes are necessary for installation

The Flight Shop, Inc -- Click Bond Info

Click bond types

Looks like some are available from Aircraft Spruce also. Anyone used them?

Last edited:
JayPSC said:
Look good, wonder how strong they are though?

If you follow the prep and installation instructions they are very strong.
We use their products extensively on the F-22 Raptor.
Mike

I used nutplates that pick up the bolts that hold my spider rear feet to the chassis. That way if you want to unbolt or adjust the spider you do not have to drop the fuel tanks down to get a wrench on the nut as per originally, this is on a RF. Dan

I think this is some great stuff. This would keep from having to use the crimp style nutserts, which are a bear to put in, and leave you with an exposed flange. You have to cut a hole, grind it to the proper diameter, put the nut sert in and then crimp it. It takes an expensive crimper to do more than one or two, as the amount of force required to crimp causes the plier type to deform the mandrel, making it useless after doing only two or three of them. The cheapest one(sissor action) I have found so far is over $100 U S. With this all you have to do is cut the hole slightly larger than the diameter of the screw or bolt, but not bigger than the base, and bond it in place and you are done. What could be simpler.
I do have a question to those of you who have used this. Is the bonding mix heat tolerant(read engine bay). What will break the bond down? A solvent? High heat? Gasoline?

Bill

Back