First Drive in the Rain - First Shower!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I managed to get caught on the road yesterday when the clouds decided to take a big dump. I managed t get really wet!

OK the driver side window was stting at home as I like the better ventilation of the open window and that did not help but.....

It managed to drip on my head along the door shut line - need to get and fit some hold down latches in the roof center section.

The water managed to spurt up through the front clip holes around the fuel filler caps - OK that was through a river flowing across a section of the A3 dual carriageway (Has anyone managed to seal this area from water flowing / spraying off the front wheels?)

The side sills got drenched with water being kicked up from the front tyres and flowing back along he sills

And my feet got soaked - seems the water on a DAX runs down the window into a channel at the screen base and each time you turn it sloshes sideways and finds it's way into the footwell! (Could sort this with some drains to outside wih flex hose)

Inder the rear clip did not seem too bad - expected a really dirty engine and engine bay - not too bad but not good.

Under front clip lots of road "silt" caked everywhere

So now I realise I should not drive it in the rain - also the big wheels, light weight and puddles made straightlines difficult at times.

BUT what can be done / has been done to stop water getting in - especially around the front hinge section of the doors?

And is it suggested to drill drainage holes to let the water get out of footwells etc?

Cheers
Ian

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Ian, I had similar experiences, one really funny one was that water tended to gather in a pool around the door hinge area, occaisionally it would get whipped up by the wind, and spray straight in my face:D
Drain holes are a good idea, I also thought about panelling the front frame, and putting rubber strips to seal the front of the doors. Plenty other areas where sealing putty would help.
Importantly, check your main chassis rails by removing the sill securing screws that are underneath, if water runs out get some WD40 in there, and try to find where it is getting in.

Dave

I think most of these cars have problems with intrusion of water and debris where the front tires kick up onto the body, frame junction. I get a small drip there but no major seepage. What I hate is the sand ect. that gets in the front door jam area so I am looking at making a rubber flap attached to the frame drapping over the front sill to stop this.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Dave

thanks for that I will check the Chassis rails
Yes I also had the pooling of water - seemed that the stuff on the passenger side had the correct airflow to hit my face!

But I would not have it any other way the car behaved itself yesterday and did not even die at traffic lights - even managed to get all 6 gears but not necessarily when I wanted them! Reverse is still a bugger to get so more adjusting required! She is also still thirsty - I recon about 9mpg.

I wuld love to see any sealing ideas for the doors

cheers
ian

The fairly thick rubber that's available as goldfish pond liners can be put to excellent use in various areas of the GT40, Cheap and does the job nicely.

Simon

Back