GTD catch reccesses measurement

My GTD has the old Triumph style catches holding down the front and rear clips (see pics) I'd like to change these and am intending to mould some new glassfibre reccesses for the more normal style of catch. Could somebody please measure their reccesses on their front and rear clips for me please (height, width and depth)
Many thanks

Simon

Attachments

• catch-1.jpg
    catch-1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 429
  • catch-2.jpg
    catch-2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 424
Simon,

Maybe these pics will help, this is the rear clip & the front is exactly the same size.

As an aside, did you get buy that car in north devon?

Attachments

• catch.JPG
    catch.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 361
  • catch (1).JPG
    catch (1).JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 360
  • catch (2).JPG
    catch (2).JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 355

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Simon,

If worse comes to worse, maybe you can do what I did when I discovered that my latch recesses were delaminating. (The mat had not been well soaked in resing, I think.) I basically made a male mold out of wood, covered it in resin and then applied mold release. I prepp'ed the inside of the panel: take it down to bare fiberglass, leave it rough and wash with acetone. The mold was held in place by the friction on the sides and you can see the cleats which gauged the depth. The dowels left preformed mounting holes for my latches and held pressure against polished stainless plates, that you can't see, which formed the back wall of the recess. The stainless was predrilled so the dowels also prevented resin from leaking through the holes onto the polished face of the plates. I also left some small tabs on the edges of the SS to provide mechanical grip as well.

Lynn

Attachments

• DzusLatchJigInPlace.jpg
    DzusLatchJigInPlace.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 346
for the Hartwell latches you need a pocket: 15/16" wide X 4-1/8 " high X 1-3/16" deep Hope this helps!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
For completeness: for the proper depth at the top, the proper height and to help secure the fixture I added the small block you see in the picture below. (You may have noticed in the first picture that the bottom dowels appear to be below recess plug; and they are.) I left the top of the recess open, which eased mounting the latch tremendously. Since it was open topped, I also wanted the back wall to be high enough so that the opening was not visible even when the clip was in the opened position. The thin piece extending from the block (at the bottom in the pic) was for clearance for the sill mounted part of the latch to extend from behind and under the recess.

Attachments

• DzusLatchJigSM.jpg
    DzusLatchJigSM.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 322
Back