GTD Harness Bar

I've managed to lose the mails where some kind forum members had given me the specs of thier harness bars in their GTDs. I would appreciate it people could let me know what size tubing they have used. Much appreciated. Thanks

Brett

Hi Brett, I guess you could use a tube or flat bar. I don't have any pics handy, but I used a 1/2" by 1" flat bar welded on to a small piece of 1/4" plate to pick up the mounting bolts. For what it was worth, I used the same flat plate to pick up the engine bay strut bolts coming into the cockpit.
You are likely aware of this, but the harness bar bolts must run through the piece of angle iron in the engine bay and it's important to use washers or similar to spread the load on the eye bolts.

If you have the patience, I'll send some pics this coming weekend.

Brian

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Brett. I hope to go over and see my car this weekend and I'll take some pics then. It's a bar arrangement again.

Jim Pearson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Brett,

The harness bar assembly of my GTD40 comprises a steel bar 910x30x6mm fitted immediately below the level of the bulkhead window trim and into which are fitted the harness eyebolts at 250mm centres. This is bolted through (2 @ 8mm and 2 @ 10mm dia) a 25x25x4mm steel angle section located in the engine bay.

The upper "horizontal" leg is notched in the centre to clear the distributor cap.

The eyebolts appear to be 8-10mm thread dia (sorry, needs stripping to find out) and do NOT pass through the angle.

Hope this is of assistance.

Good luck with the build.

Regards,

Jim

Back