fuel filler cap and mount flange

The car is now in final assembly and just fixing the front spider down.

the question now arrises should I mount the fuel filler flange in a sandwich formation with the fiberglass as the centre or mount the flange on top of the fiberglass then the fuel filler cap directly on top . the fiber glass is painted in petrol resistant glaze so I see no reason why the first solution is not acceptable.

any ideas on a good sealant that could be used between the component parts.

lets have some ideas on what youve all done

Hi Huw, I have some pics showing the install of fuel filler caps. I installed the filler neck under the spider. Drill and fit nutsert into the filler neck (no nuts can fall of) cork gasket then spider, another cork gasket then filler cap. Spider is sandwiched between the cap and the filler neck.

This makes it an easy task to remove the spider if necessary without involving the removal of the fillerneck from the tank.

Mick

But for the cork seal, I did it exactly as Mick for exactly the same reasons. The way I saw it though, splash-back would be minimal and unlikely to find its way past the "natural" seal so an absolute seal wasn't required. Seems to still be holding true after 3 years.

have now done exactly the same as both of you except put a silicon type petrol resistant gasket between the cap and fiberglass and the fiberglass and swan neck.The swan neck was too large to fit in the frame so needed to exprience the angle grinder prior to final fitment.The good thing about this fitting is it makes the caps low enough for the front clip to be raised without contact.

Back