Tinting Plastic side windows

Anyone ever tried a spray on window tint for their plastic side windows? If so what did you use and how did it work? I am looking into a VHT product called smoke window tint but have not heard back about compatability with plastic.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I haven't done that - but I did buy some tinted Lexan that I will be using to make some replacement windows.

You can get stuff in a spray can that can tint tail lights - They're plastic, so I'm guessing it's the same principle... I think the trick is very fine even coats until you are happy with how dark they are.

I think window tint film would be easier to apply.

I'm buying a tinted perspex/lexan to make side windows for my T70 as well - Not to everyone's taste I suppose, but with very bright paintwork, I think It'll look pretty cool :)

Thanks guys. The VHT product is only good on glass. I have done static cling film and it is pretty good. The clue down type is not compatible with the plastic and the static cling type is hard to install without air bubbles - but does cut down the thermal load. I might try the tailight spray as a test.

Just an update on tinting of your plastic side windows! As I said earlier, I installed static cling tint and it worked well - until the hot weather hit. The tint allows the original clear plastic window to get so hot that it softens to a consistancy of jello. Not good. I have been told that the poly that is manufactured with a tint doesn't have this problem.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Try some Fabric Dye

Take a TEST piece of your material (lexan) and make up the dye in a bath or similar

Put in the lexan

Hit the stopwatch and retrieve it when dark enough - note the time on the stopwatch.

Repeat with the other pieces to the same length of time.

I've never done it myself (Car is White so tint would look wierd (IMO))but been advised it works well

Ian

Back