What Colour should my GT40 be?

Just throwing this one out there for anyone to post pics of the best colours on a GT40 as I'm still a little undecided.

We already have a few Gulf cars in West Oz, so I'm looking for something different.

Thanks guys.

I really like the Essex Wire Team look (white with a red stripe and black oins stripes bordering the two main colors.

Bill D

So many choices !

see enclosed pictures

I've got same issue !:pepper:

I like black with silver or orange stripes, dark blue with white stripe, or a special one : dark purple (Porsche 911 1993 aniversary color with white stripes)

Good luck

Attachments

• Ford GT40 LE 1.jpg
    Ford GT40 LE 1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • gt40 racing green 1.jpg
    gt40 racing green 1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,639
  • classic2006_Nr_156_c_jpg.jpg
    classic2006_Nr_156_c_jpg.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 967
  • Tim%20Kretzschmar.jpg
    Tim%20Kretzschmar.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,247
Audi light grey metallic (VW LH7Y) and yellow, to be really different.

Tony Hunt

Attachments

• Xmas.jpg
    Xmas.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,277
Why wouldn't you want to paint it Gulf colors? Just kidding! I have always loved the Shelby blue with white stripes and would've painted mine that way but my family would only accept Gulf colors. I do love the way it looks in person now that it's done.

Attachments

• blue_big.jpg
    blue_big.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,565
Hey, thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming. There must be a reason why no one has suggested black yet!?! Bugger to get right, maybe?

Ricky, I know it is a bit early, but you've gotta have a plan! How else would I decide what colour would best compliment the fluffy pink seat covers?

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I'm getting closer and closer to doing this.

I wasn't trying for something that no one has done yet but so far I haven't found a pic of it done on any other cars. It's close to the Essex scheme which is one I also like but is different.

Easily, it's the most difficult choice of the build.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Troy,

The colour I'm going to use on mine is two tone blue in the Gulf configuration with the moustache. Light blue as per normal Gulf but with Navy Blue stripe and moustache with a Magenta pinstripe dividing the two colours. That's the colours I had my BT21A in the seventies. Prettiest looking car I ever owned.:)

Cheers

Just looking around for my first car and so this thread is of great interest. So far my personal favourite I have seen is the #9 in this video (shown at 3min 34sec).

YouTube - Le Mans 1967 onboard Ford GT 40

I have looked on the web regarding #9 for '65, '66 and '67 Le mans races but it never says on sources such as wilkpedia, that this car was a GT40. Can anyone help me track down any more photos?

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
I rather like the colour scheme of JWA GT40 P / 1088 which is currently for sale with Maxted Page Maxted-Page Limited - 1968 Ford Gt40 A good variation on the Gulf theme.

THERE IT IS! THAT'S MY FAVORITE!!!!!

Black cars are a pain, though... but still,1088 looks baaaaad! I love it!

Guardsman Blue is my favorite of the 'normal' colors, especially with a white stripe or moustache... unfortunately there are soooo many Cobras and Daytonas in similar shades of blue.

Red, to me, is for F-cars, tri-five Chebbies, and vintage 'Vettes...

British racing green with yellow 'stache looks awesome, but I have that scheme mentally reserved for Lotuses (Loti?), Jags, and all.

Essex Wire scheme looks great, business-like and race-ready...

Silvers and tungstens really highlight the curves of the GT, and they are certainly the "grown-up" look, but when there is a non-metallic (like yellow) stripe or 'stache, it never looks right to me. It always looks like someone took a nice silver no-stripe car and went at it with the spray gun. When the stripes are also metallic (like on tungsten FGTs) then it blends and looks 'right' to me.

Flat colors, like yellow, white, or Gulf blue, de-emphasize the curves, but make the car look smaller, stubbier, and somehow "younger" (to me, anyway). Festive colors on a burly car somehow works for me (think lime green 'Cuda convertible!).

I saw a pic once of a darker, non-metallic, almost "Sunoco" blue GT with an orange 'stache. How about Sunoco blue with yellow 'stache... sort of like a Blue Angels jet?

For me, I think it's going to be Gulf. In a crowded field of crazy cars, my eye has always sought the baby-blue and orange ones, since I was a kid picking out Corgis and Matchboxes. So I guess it is my fate, and there's no sense denying it!

rockonsmile:D

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I know what you mean Charlie re the non metallic yellow. That dark green and yellow scheme is what I started out with but then "morphed" it into my eventual black green / champagne and yellow pin stripe. Gulf scheme is quintessential GT40, so there is no harm in going that way if that is what is in your heart.rockonsmile

Bill

Attachments

• 25032007387.jpg
    25032007387.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 843
  • At the Painters  05-11-2005 ph-05.jpg
    At the Painters 05-11-2005 ph-05.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 727
Bill, that is a cool colour. I recently did a Spitfire in a similar colour, a custom tint near a Holden colour called Turbine Grey. It actually looked a bit Aston green in the end.

Charlie, all valid points.

Russ, bule on blue, cool idea.

Has anyone got any pics of Red 40's, or variations on the red theme?

The black and orange finish on 1088 looks sensational, thanks for the pics.

More please...

Back