Colour?

Hi everyone.

Before i begin my Mk1 40 build id like to work out in my opinion one of the most important features on any car...the paint!

So far im thinking Gulf livery

but im not 100% some times i think it rocks then some pictures i see it look a bit camp? you know what i mean? I assume its because people have used slightly different shades of blue?

Anyway im aware this is probably a question thats been done before!
ive had a look at the gallery here, but im still undecided.

I guess one thing which will decide it for me is how difficult/expensive it will be to create the gulf paint job?

I like black, my favorite colour, but i feel the 40 looses some of its sharpness and lines in this colour?

Red with the stripe looks good also, but for me is a bit too much. plus we already have a red classic car in the gararge. so may be a bit of an over dose.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated, along with choosing the correct set of wheels, the correct paint can make or break a car for me.

kind regards

Lee

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Lee, welcome to the forum.

Your question parallels you asking someone to pick your wife for you. It has been repeatedly asked with the same results - its your personal preference. Pick what makes you happy. As far as cost of a paint job, consult your local body shops. Paint jobs here in the states vary greatly. Requesting the cost of the paint job from forum members not in proximity to you is irrelevant. Everything costs more in NY than the midwest. Savvy? You would also have to factor in when the car will be painted. If it is a year from now prices surely would be higher.

Do yourself a favor and buy "The Ford That Beat Ferrari", a brilliant hardcover book which is among the most in-depth works on the GT40. What sets it apart is the terrific photography, including loads of period color photos. You can get tons of ideas there.

As for wheels, I can tell you that GT40s are let down terribly when fitted with horrid bolt-on wheels that scream 'cheap kit car'. It would be a fair bit of work to put wire wheels (as used in '64 and '65) on your car, but 1965-66 cars were fitted with Halibrand knock-offs (which are GT40-specific; they differ in detail from the more common Cobra wheels), and later Mk 1 GT40s were fitted typically with six-spoke BRM wheels.

Do whatever you can to fit proper knock-off wheels--you'll never regret going that extra mile....

Haha. my wifes the best thing thats ever happened to me, lets hope me colour choosing skills are as good.

yeh i'll check the book out.

thanks

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
I picked a bright color so I would be seen...in the hopes that the elderly around my way would see me coming and not pull out in front of me !!

I also wish that someone else had picked my wife for me.....at least I'd have someone else to blame. ;)

Cheers,

I like solid light blue, or with a single or shelby white or orange stripes. Not full on Gulf.

Silver with either white or gunmetal stripes also are pretty cool.

Ian

Be inventive. There are no bad colors on gt40 - just personal preferences. If you like black, think about black with a silver or gold gulf stripe with the silver edged in blue or red or the gold edged in yellow. Let your mind go crazy and find something you like. If you can get hold of a black and white 3/4 view rendering, make a lot of copies and use colored pencils to try out different combos to see what you like.

Color choice was easy for me. My wife was a little hesitant at me spending $100K on a SPF MK2, but had no problem when I let her pick the color! She picked titanium. I'm happy!

Lee,

Mike gives good advice on buying the book and checking out the historic liveries. You would need to decide if you are going for an historic look or just a cool car. If history is to be your guide, there are a finite set of liveries available to you. Certainly if black is your color, it's a slam dunk on a MkII, right? The dark blue Gulf MkI (#11) with the orange stripe is dark, although not black. Certainly the GT40 is an historic car so historic liveries are always appropriate. Spending $100M USD (+/-) on a car gives the owner the right to paint it pink if he/she wants to. One of the US dealers has a bright orange car for sale. While it may appeal to the avid fan of certain college sports teams, I don't think it will appeal to most car guys. In the end, it's your call to make. What if everybody here suggested purple with a bright green rocker? You wouldn't take the advise would you? Good luck!

Dave

It would be a fair bit of work to put wire wheels (as used in '64 and '65) on your car, but 1965-66 cars were fitted with Halibrand knock-offs (which are GT40-specific; they differ in detail from the more common Cobra wheels), and later Mk 1 GT40s were fitted typically with six-spoke BRM wheels.
As Mike says the wheels are important. But six spoke wheels were actually on two MK1 at the 1966 Le Mans. But is your car is a MKII Hailbrands are the way to go. For the 1966 season the Holman and Moody MKIIA were metallic colour Silver (7), Gold (5), Bronze (4).The other teams used Royal Blue (6), Yellow (8), Red (3), Light Blue (1) and the New Zealand national colours of the 1966 Winner Black with a Silver stripe (2). Pre 1966 cars were overall white with a Dark Blue bonnet. I personally would chose a colour according to your climate the GT40 can be hot even with air conditioning. I hope you get much pleasure from your new Toy?
Regards Allan

Ron Earp

Admin
As for wheels, I can tell you that GT40s are let down terribly when fitted with horrid bolt-on wheels that scream 'cheap kit car'.
Do whatever you can to fit proper knock-off wheels--you'll never regret going that extra mile....

Be careful you choose for your intended use. Those "horrid bolt-on wheels" are all that some club track days will allow on the track for safety considerations (not here to debate the considerations, just a fact of life for some track day organizers knock ons ons are not allowed). You might want to have two sets of wheels if you find that to be the case, I think that is what I'll be doing.

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
If I had a second choice I think I would go for the Lamborghini color of the times.......a color than can't be beat....

Attachments

• LGMura.jpg
    LGMura.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 471
Be careful you choose for your intended use. Those "horrid bolt-on wheels" are all that some club track days will allow on the track for safety considerations (not here to debate the considerations, just a fact of life for some track day organizers knock ons ons are not allowed). You might want to have two sets of wheels if you find that to be the case, I think that is what I'll be doing.

That is simply ludicrous! What organization prohibits center-lock wheels? FWIW all 'real' race cars use center-lock wheels, as do a few high-end production cars (i.e. Ferrari F-50 etc.). They are no less safe than traditional bolt-on wheels; in fact they are arguably much safer since the thing to which the wheel is attached is profoundly stronger.

Show me a club tech official who refuses to allow safety-wired knock-off wheels at a track event, and I'll show you a complete buffoon.

(And FWIW, I myself am a club tech official, in charge of creating and enforcing safety standards at the national Pantera club track event)

Also, you can't have it both ways. Having bolt-on wheels precludes knock-offs and vice-versa.

Oh, wait, I seem to remember that you can purchase a bolt-on adapter that then lets you run a knock-off wheel. THAT might be a bit dubious. What I was proposing was genuine knock-offs, with a proper knock-off hub, not a bolt-on adapter.....

Lee,

There have been a few threads on this topic in the past - do a search and you'll find some good information (and pictures).

Like you, I also favor black - my favorite color on a car. However, I would agree with you that the '40 loses something in black - perhaps the depth of the color tends to do the reverse of accentuating the lovely lines and curves, unlike say a bright red. And, as you say, the Gulf colors might be a bit cliche, but of course those are very valid and historic colors on a gt40! Good suggestion above regarding black with subtle stipes, either silver or gold.

My car is a dark blue, which I think is generally pretty nice and neutral, except there is some metallic in the paint giving it a bit of a hot-rod-car-show look. My personal choice would be to go with black and silver racing stripes and I'll be looking into getting this done this summer.

Good luck and enjoy!

Color choice was easy for me. My wife was a little hesitant at me spending $100K on a SPF MK2, but had no problem when I let her pick the color! She picked titanium. I'm happy!

HAha. mate if i let her choose it would be barbie pink with a fluffy interior!! Ive just bought her a kitten as she wanted one for ages and i always said no, but thats been married for you, all about compromise!! I get a GT40 she gets a Kitten, fair deal me thinks;)

Im in England so climate is not really a big deal, if anthing i'll need heaters/demisters for all the rain!!:mad:

Humm, some of you are missing the point, im not asking you to choose a colour for me, im just trying to get a general idea of what people like and hope mabe someone can suggest something i havnt thought of yet.

As for the debate on wheels, as i said at the start, wheels can also make or brake a car. To be honnest im not too fussed about being historicly accurate (how can i, its a brand new car!!) but id just like to give the car a nod to the past. The other car we have is an aston martin, this has center knock offs, which are easier/quick to use and look great. But they can wear down on the splines even if greased properly. ive found with a new set of wheels they have to be bedded in every 50miles as the spline teeth wear in! Also as beautiful as wire wheels are, they are a bugger to keep clean.
So im fairly certain i'll use the halibrands. think i must buy that book, some research needed here i think.

Well id just like to say thanks for the input. the more people mention black the more im liking it, as i said black is my favorite.

the dark blue gulf style someone mentioned is also lovley, this is a possible for me a bit less common to the light blue, i have a you tube video of one, the engine sound gives me goose bumps. when the speakers are up loud! think its a 4.7L or maby 7L?

YouTube - Gt40 losses control

Last edited:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Lee

Yes I have to agree Black is beautiful.
For my car the only colour had to be black.

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0237.JPG
    PICT0237.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 509
  • PICT0238.JPG
    PICT0238.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 445
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 442
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 437
Since these cars are in essence " racing cars" any color combination will look good.It's really hard to mess this one up.Go with what you like.

Back