Center Console Opinions

Chuck

Supporter
We are in the process of fabricating the center console. It is a simple affair, covering the shifter cables and the emergency brake mechanism. But we can't decide how to finish it. I have seen prototypes with a similar arrangement (sans brake handle) left natural aluminum. But in a car like this I am leaning toward something a bit more 'classy.' Two options: (1) black paint to match the other painted surfaces. Problem is there won't be much exposed paint when we get done. (2) Leather covering, to match the seats. That is what I am leaning towards.

A leather brake boot would also be easy to fabricate as well.

Ryan, of course, prefers natural or painted aluminum - more 'race car.'

Any thoughts, opinions or comments???

Attachments

• EmergencyBrake4.JPG
    EmergencyBrake4.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 652
  • EmergencyBrake5.JPG
    EmergencyBrake5.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 631

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Chuck,

Seats and you work look so great (top shelf)...I'd follow along with leather as Bill suggests.

Steve P2125

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Chuck,

That reaaly looks nice as is. Though I like the leather look myself the bare aluminum has a certain flair as well. Maybe you could leave it as is for now and see how it goes. Then if you still feel another look would suit you, you could finish it accordingly?

Pete

Chuck

Supporter
Pete:

That is a good suggestion. It's not like I can't find something else to do to keep me busy on this project!

I could leave it bare aluminum. Then if we decide we don't like it, paint it black, then if we decide we don't like that, go for the leather!

Good tip!!

Chuck

Chuck

Supporter
You know, if you look long enough you can fine a prototype for just about anything. Here is a picture of a GT with a bare aluminum console and chrome ringed instruments. Just found this picture posted by Mike Trusty. (Thanks Mike!!).

Attachments

• OriginalGTConsole1.jpg
    OriginalGTConsole1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 612
  • OriginalGTConsole2.jpg
    OriginalGTConsole2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 636
Chuck,
Here's a thought. If you have a stripe down the middle of the car on the outside, why not compliment it with the same color for the console? Just a thought!! If it is going to be a racer, then my vote is for the brushed aluminum. If you plan on driving the streets, then go with the bling look.

Bill

Chuck, I think the aluminum looks great, but then I left my FFR coupe interior all aluminum. It will dull over time and is hard to keep a consistent finish. Given the rest of your interior, you may want to go directly to leather. I don't think you will be happy with paint as it will scratch fairly quickly given the location.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Black leather is my vote.. I plan on building up a center arm-rest to go over the mechanism.

Chuck
My tunnel cover is similar to yours. It's currently being upholstered in leather. If you can wait a few weeks, I'll post pictures of it.

Bill D

Leather.

Otherwise, it will off-balance the interior colors.

But it is your car!

From the response of other members, I think leather is the choice of the majority.

Cheers,

Chuck
Here is mine powdercoated black prior to having it covered in leather. I have a piggyback hump that houses my AFFF fire suppression activation unit. But you can get an idea of what it would look like black like Fran suggested,

finalassy_110.JPG

Bill D

Chuck

Supporter
Bill:

Looks good. With the abundance of powder coated metal that will be visible in your car, that console looks good just as is. I am sure it will look good in leather as well.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
I'm in the black powder coat camp. It will flow naturally that way. Won't need to address how to finish off the ends and such too. To me the transisitions between materials is always the part that catches my attention.

Chuck,

may be some practical thoughts:
- ever touched or tried to touch a chromed or blank aluminium part after the car was out in the hot summer sun, take in account the big window surface of a gt40 and the somehow comfy fit of yourself in this cars, so i guess leave it bare aluminium could be uncomfortable at certain moments.
- i lke the way they do it on the CAV´s or SPF´s. Nicely integrated covered handbrakelever, usable in the same time as armrest, could also think of some small compartment incooperated for your wallet, mobile aso. Imagine this covered in nice black suede or if you want it more racier, in something like black NOMEX ( i always think this the black textile used on some originals is something like that, but don´t know for sure). looks classic and racy to me and is easy to keep in good condition.

TOM

Chuck

Supporter
Tom:

Here is a picture of what it looks like today at my house. Four inches of sleet and ice. Could not even get out of the driveway. The thought of a hot summer day and touching that 120 degree exposed aluminum console never even crossed my mind. Excellent point. Sounds like leather, with a thin piece of pad underneath, is the way to go. Thanks.

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_4394.JPG
    IMG_4394.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 385
Leather or Alcantara (a sort of tough suede) is a beautiful, comfortable, and classy finish to go with your seats. Definitely don't paint it. My thoughts,
Dalton

Back