Dzus fasteners

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I need some, enough for two panels (eight plus maybe a few extra, say 12 total). Anyone have any extras they're looking to get rid of?

I hear the originals were rather large, I'd like similar as well. There was also a group made through the forum with the handles on them (as per the originals if I remember correctly). Does anyone have extras of those lying around? I'd be interested in getting a bunch.

Thanks,
Chris

I would also like to find the ones with the long handles on them. I am sure they are a custom deal but I would share the cost if we could find someone to make them.

Chuck

Supporter
Add my name to the list. of those interested. That would be a nice detail. Ray made a beautiful set for his Gulf GT which we saw at Run and Gun in October, but is was apparently a significant project requiring welding the handle and then chrome plating them.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've been thinking up ideas on making the large toggle Dzus but haven't finalized anything yet. I'd far rather buy them already made than to do them myself - so if anyone comes up with the answer before I do - please let me know also...

I just checked Ebay for dzus. You will find what your looking for there. I saw a pack of 25 for around $30.00

Hope that helps

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
These are the ones I was talking about;

detail14.jpg

http://www.racingicons.com/gt/detail14.jpg

I've yet to find a supply of these anywhere..

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I still have some of the Fobs in steel and stainless, shoot me a PM if you want to make your own. Look for the old post on them before that so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about...

Sandy

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Check with Eglitom - I believe he has had some made..

Hi Allen

I have made p LONGGRIP DZUS FASTENERS, which allows you to mountthe receiptive Spring on the underside of the front clip, thus preventing it to be pulled out or through. I have send 50 of them to Fran and as far i can remember he has used them on your car. I have not made up the ones with the handle. So if your reciptive spring is below the fiberglass then this are of my design. Just post a picture and i can identify them.
A way to fab the original looking ones is to have the handles laser cut out of a flat steel withthe same thickness as the cutout in the standard DZUS , than have a good welder connecting them to them and give them to cinc plating afterwards.

TOM

Hi Allen

To fab the original looking ones is to have the handles laser cut out of a flat steel with the same thickness as the cutout in the standard DZUS , than have a good welder connecting them to them and give them to cinc plating afterwards.

TOM

Hi Tom,
Yes the Handles are what I want to ad. I like the idea of that better than carrying around a screw driver to open them up with. I will get busy and make some up then. Thanks

Hi Tom,
better than carrying around a screw driver to open them up with.

Allen,
NEVER use a screwdriver to operate Dzus fasteners.
I've seen too many aircraft hatch fasteners ruined by groundcrew who carried large GP screwdrivers around to use on them. Because the bottom of the slot is curved, the edges of the screwdriver will damage the slot.
A big penny washer, about 2" diameter, does the job perfectly and can be conveniently stored in the driver's door pocket.
Connoisseurs use a small screwdriver that Dzus used to make and could be attached to the keyring. That too had a circular-edged blade.
Tony

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I sold my DZUS four sided device for silly money. The RAF took them off us so I figured they had to be V&A stores (Valuable and Attactive). Even DZUS don't stock them any more.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
None of those Ian. It was about the same size as the 'dog tag I/D' (about 40mm square) and each corner was essentially rounded to a DZUS screwdriver and fitted a different type of Fastener. Chemiblack in colour and a hole about 10mm in the centre.

Back