kva cooling ?

I'm thinking about changing my coolingpipes (at the moment there underneath the tanks)
are there kva's type c owners who use the central chassis beams for cooling can you post a picture or other solutions (without cutting the chassis in two )

Frank

Frank my kva c type has two aluminium pipes of 35 mm in the central position above eachother.The pipes run through two square metal chassis parts welded toghether.In the beginning when I had my car they looked small in diameter but so far I don't have any cooling issues.greetings Emiel.

Frank

I had a KVA with the pipes through the square tube down the center of the car. I used 35mm domestic heating copper pipe.
You may find the 35mm tube tight or very tight in the square section and there may be internal weld ridge from when the tube was welded in it's production; these make it tight and can also cut the tube as it is inserted.
I used an old reamer welded to a long tube to clear the burrs and the pipes fitted easily.

The engine I used was a 302 mildly tuned with 4b carb, also a generous expansion tank. The rad was a GTD item. No cooling problems.

Steve

Some massive calculations in that link posted by Russ, in some ways I would have liked to have been a Forum member when the likes of Adam C was around & in another I am glad I wasnt:).

Some seat of the pants & practical values to help on this matter--- when we convert cylinder heads to take the coolant out the front rather than via the intake & thermostat housing, the fitting that we install has a bore of 3/4" on each head ( 0.442 sq in ). Double that and you get 0.884 sq in which is around the same area as 1.0625" tube. On that basis I would suggest that 1.25" OD would be sufficient for the top or outlet pipe from thermostat to radiator. Bear in mind also that the bore of the actual thermostat opening which all the coolant must pass thru is only approx 1" in dia.

I know that the oil cooler that I make & forms part of the lower radiator hose has a coolant bore of 35mm ( 1.400" ) and we have no flow problems with that dia in that position which would suggest that a bore size of 1.375" ( 1.500" OD ) for the return from radiator to pump should be adequate .

Jac Mac

Thanks Russ,
i did find that thread but didn't know how to make such a link work
there's lot's of info in that thread and some info is dazzling me (it's more the english than the maths)
Thanks Jac Mac,
if i want to put the pipes in the middle i can use a max of 35 mm ( the square pipes are40x40 outer and 35x35 inner)
and the pipes which are atached at the moment are 45 mm in diameter so are the openings of the radiater
so the dilemma is am i going to change to smaller pipes and tidy the front and sides (no pipes near the wheels and fueltanks) but use smaller pipes or leave it this way ?
Frank

Frank, you should be able to use a length of 38mm ( 1.500" )OD tube and run it thru a swage or a set of rollers with double VEE formers to slightly square the tube & allow it to fit--- 35 x 4 = 140--------38 x 3.142= 120mm. Then once fitted to chassis use a pipe mandrel/expander to return to round shape.

Try it on a piece of scrap tube first.

what are the flow properties of 1 1/4 sq. s/steel? dat would fit down da middle .someone out there must have a calc for that ? steve

Hi Frank I have a slightly warmed over 302 and the beams are indeed 40x40 so the pipe fits very tight in it.Sorry I can not send you a picture since I'm not that computergenius.

Jac Mac,
I can try that
I'll first have to see where i can get the pipe squar'd
I 've seen a picture some time ago i can't find it anymore of a kva and they welded round pipes on the square pipes so they used the chassis beams as waterpipes

Emiel,
my 302 is stroked to374 andrevs up to 8200 so will be hot and if you've got a digital camera we can talk you in to posting
Frank

Back