MkII rear brake ducting

My MDA MkII has the snorkles vents and the molding has the split side air intake in the rear clip mould.
There is also a tee duct to glass into place.
Here is my problem, tryng to find some good pictures of the inside of the rear clip that show how the top air from the snorkle and side vent air is ducted to the rear brakes. ie the glaased in duct on the inside of the clip.
It results in a down pointing pipe that seals to a flanged duct directing the air to the brakes.

I would appreciate any pictures of the feature on the MkII cars

Steve

Dave Collins

Supporter
Steve,

The main pictures I have used for referance come from the following books:

Ford GT Then and Now - Adrian Streather - P206 shows a picture of 1012 at Daytona 1966 - this is before the rear deck snorkels were used and shows ducting from side intake (bottom 1/3rd of top intake) moulded into rear clip coming to a downward facing pipe on inside of rear wheel arch.

Ford GT40 The Legend Lives On - John Allen - P76 shows 1031 at 1966 Le Mans and shows how duct from rear deck snorkel connects into duct from side intake.

The Ford that beat Ferrari - Gordon Jones/John Allen - P130 shows 1012 in k11B form still with Y piece although duct to snorkels is disconnected as Shelby had removed from Mk11B at this time (although still fitted to H&M cars). - P113 has picture of 1031 in which you can just make out ducts.
P93 and P104 hve good pics of foam topped connector duct that leads to brakes.

Also see

1015 - Classic Le Mans 2006
Ford GT40 Mk II - Ultimatecarpage.com - Images, Specifications and Information

1016 - Classic Le Mans 2006
Ford GT40 Mk II - Ultimatecarpage.com - Images, Specifications and Information

1015 - 1966 Le Mans - you can just see rear clip duct

Ford GT40 Mark II - Supercars.net

Also there are a fair few oics scattered around on various forums showing how SPF MK11 clip is formed.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the links, there are some good shots there. I will try to track down the other books as I have the 'Ford that beat Ferrari' , the picture there appears to have a gap between the snorkel and the Tee..

The shot of the connection from the tee or Y to the snorkel remains elusive. Was it glassed in or just some flex hose

Steve

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Lynn Miner posted some information for installing SPF brake ducts. It's in the SPF section. That method may not be original but it looks like it worked fairly well. Those pictures of the system on the original MKII brake system are great - thank you!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Here is one from Goldfinger No5 at Le Mans classic 2004

Attachments

• MK2PIC3ENGINEnet.jpg
    MK2PIC3ENGINEnet.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 365

Dave Collins

Supporter
Just noticed that on 1016 in it's current form there is no ducting to the snorkels in the rear clip and it looks like the flexible hose and coupling have been raided to make direct contact with the underside of the rear clip where the snorkel mounts.

Obviously different to as they were in 1966 but probably a bit more straightforward for current use.

Dave

Back