Roll Cage

Just had this made up for my KVA. It is actually removable. I am quite pleased with it, should stop anything from coming inboard!!

Attachments

• GT 40 Roll Cage 002.jpg
    GT 40 Roll Cage 002.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 486
  • GT 40 Roll Cage 003.jpg
    GT 40 Roll Cage 003.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 397
  • GT 40 Roll Cage 004.jpg
    GT 40 Roll Cage 004.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 417
  • GT 40 Roll Cage 005.jpg
    GT 40 Roll Cage 005.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 374
  • GT 40 Roll Cage 007.jpg
    GT 40 Roll Cage 007.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 450

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice job on the cage Murray... Looks very stout!

BTW - I like your choice in motorcycles also.. One of my favorites was my 1985 European issue BMW K100RT. That would appear to be an RS of roughly the same vintage...

Randy, you know your bikes, yes exactly right K100RS 1985!!

B.T.W. everyone, I intend to get the rollcage painted in smooth Hammerite, not powder coated anyone any remarks on this? Also what paint can replicete the powder coating on the chassis that had to be removed for the welding?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy, you know your bikes, yes exactly right K100RS 1985!!

B.T.W. everyone, I intend to get the rollcage painted in smooth Hammerite, not powder coated anyone any remarks on this? Also what paint can replicete the powder coating on the chassis that had to be removed for the welding?

BMW - Have you pulled the Check ball out of the fuel return pipe to eliminate the annoying clicking it makes with a partial tank of fuel yet? I did this and it made a world of difference in the riding experience. I wish I still had that bike. Only other down-side to it was the couple of minutes of oil burning if left parked on the side-stand overnight.

I don't know the Hammerite product but looked it up online. It appears to be something close to what's sold here as POR15 (Paint Over Rust). POR makes a really hard finish - as hard or harder than many epoxy finishes. The only real challenge I've had with it is getting it to flow properly when brushing it on. It's SUPER-TOXIC so you should not spray it unless you have full garb on with a fresh-aire breathing system. Also - if you get it on your skin, it does NOT scrub or wipe off.
You wear it off.. :furious: Ask me why I know this :furious:

Randy,

how do you know this!? :laugh:

I have never had the probs with the check ball on the BM I have never heard the clicking. I do like the bike but have not ridden it for a while. I would prefer the RT as I find it more comfortable for riding. I have some problems with my shoulders after a car accident a few years ago. 1/2 an hour riding a sports bike would kill me!
Hammerite is basically the same as POR I reckon, except it probably comes off better! I shall get my oppo to spray it as he has the booth, air mask, etc.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Had a hole in my glove... :furious:

Could not believe how much of that stuff got in through that small hole... I scrubbed with lacquer thinner, mineral spirits and alcohol.. I managed to get the majority of the heavy stuff off but the skin was stained for many weeks..
I'm sure that the Hammerite will work well for you..

RE: Check Ball... My memory is failing me some in recent years.. When I stop and think about it - I believe I recall that the check ball was only a silly requirement for the US-DOT bikes. Even though my bike was purchased by it's original owner at the factory - he had them also prep it for import to the USA. I found out from the local dealer that a lot of guys were removing the checkball to get rid of the clicking - so I spent the afternoon doing just that. I bought the bike in 88 and had it for about 10 years. In that time I quickly switched out the K100RT Windshield for a K100LT windshield with vent wings.. The RT windshield was a layback affair much like the RS Windshield and it had a clear lexan airfoil at the top. I was too tall for that windshield and instead of it pushing the air up and over, it pushed it up and right into my face. The wind noise was horrid from 50 to 70 MPH, from 70 to 90 it was tolerable, over 90 was just fine. Unfortunately we don't get to ride much at those speeds around here..

Now I'm on a V-Twin Victory.. Not nearly as comfortable as the BMW, but this bike has a soul and character.. You have to be nice to it in order to get it to mind. The BMW, on the other hand, was silent and always at your command...

Murray,
niice work, but how tall are you ? I´m asking becuase the rear diagonal connection to the main hoop looks like they would be very close to your head. Make sure to uphoster them with the correct thikness foam.

TOM

Tom, I am only 5'8" tall. On my latest Brrmmm Bbrrmm experience (doesn't everyone do that?) I fitted in nicely. However I have not tried it with a helmet and that may be tighter. I shall probably have to use foam for the SVA (or whatever they are going to call it) when it comes to that. Must say I hadn't actually thought of it before. Thanks for your insight.

Back