Stainless doorkeepers instead of eyebrows

Hi

I would like to install this kind of stainless doorkeepers instead of the eyebrows. I saw them on CAV´s and on a MDA. They exist of two parts. on is mounted to the spider and the other one to the door. When the door is closed, the door " tongue" is going underneath the opposite spider part and so holds the top of the door down and prevent it from lifting.
Stainlessdoorkeepers.jpg

Sorry for the not so good pic.

Anyone an idea where i can source this parts.

( already contacted MDA and CAV, will wait for there answer)

Thank you TOM

Tom, they may not fit an RCR unless the contours are the same. They should be pretty easy to fabricate. I am thinking of doing the same thing with my SPF. The ones on a CAV work great.

Chuck

you could be right. Would you post some detailed pics of your CAv´s, so i can check this and may be decide to do it by my self. Would be of great help.
Thanks
TOM

it seems that I remember someone here on the forum replaced their door keepers on a CAV. I would love to borrow those and see if they will fit an SPF or what mods need to be made.

you can still keep the eyebrows, but the keepers are far more adept at closing the door tightly and do not scuff the door edge in doing so. If you think about it, eyebrows were a silly design aerodynamically. they were probably an afterthought when it was noticed that the door seperated at high speed due to vacuum, and the eyebrows were the quickest way to solve the issue.

Chuck

These "keepers" certainly look like a viable solution but it looks like an instant "scalping mechanism". Have you seen any issues with head clearance on your CAV with these? These are trivial to Fab up. I'll make up a set for my SPF and let you know.

lynn, It is a non issue for me. I think we all tend to instinctivily lower our heads when we shut the doors, but I really do not have to. Let me know how they work out. Keep in mind that they appear to be lower in the photo than they really are. They are actually slightly higher at the leading edge than the attachment point, this is to assist in pulling the door down as it closes

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
lynn, It is a non issue for me. I think we all tend to instinctivily lower our heads when we shut the doors, but I really do not have to. Let me know how they work out. Keep in mind that they appear to be lower in the photo than they really are. They are actually slightly higher at the leading edge than the attachment point, this is to assist in pulling the door down as it closes

While I like the general idea behind these - the first thing I thought of when I saw it was my wife getting a free hair-cut if she didn't duck! :stunned:

They just don't look "right " without the eyebrows!!!
´
As allways a matter of taste. For me the eyebrow spoils the look. especially if they are done like the ones on a standard SPF.

Chuck. If your pic is from a CAV it won´t fit, because the RCR has a spider with inner shell.

After seeing the detailed pictures i think i will make them by myself. Thought of them looking like this
StainlessdoorkeepersRCR.jpg

How thick is your stainless material ? looks like 2mm.

Randy: what do you think of this design (the sharp bends could be more rounded ones) ?

If i make them, i could as well make more ( or have more made) any other RCR owners interested ?

Thanks
TOM

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Tom
I believe you are going to the Classic

If so look me up in the white DAX and have a look - I have a set fitted
Bring a tape measure etc if you want measurements

Cheers
Ian

Tom, the CAV too has an inner shell liner on the Spider. The strikers are screwed into this inner shell.

also on your drawing, you probably do not need to go so far with the door striker and I would not have it lock the door closed either. The purpose is to pull the door gullwing down snugly to the spider and not allow it to rise with speed. As a side effect it also seals the gullwing nicely, aiding in keeping water out.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy: what do you think of this design (the sharp bends could be more rounded ones) ?

If i make them, i could as well make more ( or have more made) any other RCR owners interested ?

Thanks
TOM

Tom - I would be interested.. Although I am running into so many challenges in the fitting of the body (new thread coming soon) that I'm not sure that any two of these cars are the same.. There is virtually nothing I have found yet that is symmetrical from one side to the other..

One caveat is to minimize how far it extends out from the edge of the door. We would want to be certain that it does not become something that would injure someone getting in/out of the car...

Back