Design of a Dash - for a Lola

Ron Earp

Admin
Time to get on with some stuff on the Lola. Here are a couple of pictures of the cockpit area of the Lola. I've got to design a dash area for instruments as well as a switch panel for the car.

A couple of points:

• The fiberglass for the cockpit doesn't line up with the chassis itself, that is, you can't drop a straight line from the glass to the chassis cross member there. The glass is about 2" closer to the driver than the aluminum cross member that the steering bushing is bolted into.
  • Definitely some sort of relief will need to be done on the driver's door because there isn't enough room for your hand to move comfortably on the wheel at the position the wheel need to be in to drive the car.
I've had lots of ideas on how to design the cockpit. One is to cut the glass back to the chassis member there and put in a flat panel for gauges and what not. Then, design a switch panel that will angle toward the driver a bit that is mounted to the flat panel.

I could also see dropping a flat panel off the glass and tieing it back to the chassis cross member down below.

Of these two I think I would go with my first choice but I'd love to hear suggestions from you guys as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3687.jpg
    IMG_3687.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_3688.jpg
    IMG_3688.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 276

Howard Jones

Supporter
Cut out all that excess fibreglass, make a nice Alum. cover that angles up from the windshield bottom to a height that will fit all the gauges into it. I would also make it so that I could disconnect one or two plugs, unfasten the whole thing and remove it from the car for maintenance. Paint it all black and walla!!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Cut out all that excess fiberglass, make a nice Alum. cover that angles up from the windshield bottom to a height that will fit all the gauges into it. I would also make it so that I could disconnect one or two plugs, unfasten the whole thing and remove it from the car for maintenance. Paint it all black and walla!!

Shit sorry!!

One problem Ron is that you have moved the steering wheel to the left side and the body is meant for right hand drive. The left door is bigger than the right door.

Back