Removable / opening GT40 side Windows

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have a small problem - it's called the wife!
She will not accept that the garage needs to be widened.

So I am stuck with a 7 foot wide garage at the end of a shared driveway.

At the moment I push the GT40 out the garage and push it down between the 2 houses (about 4 inches each side and I'm not brave enough to try reversing it yet)

To steer it I have the drivers side window out and reach through to turn the wheel as necessary.

Once at the front of the house I get out the window, screws and screwdriver and fit the window.

Returning home is the reverse procedure. Unscrew window and push car into garage with arm through window (Yes I have pushed it over my own foot twice)

So can anyone come up with a way to make a window that will slide (like the BMC Mini ones perhaps, open enough to reach through to steer the car, flap open like the Citroen 2CV but still look reasonably correct on a GT40?

I had thaught about velcro fitting the window but not sure on how good this would be and if with the ram air ventilation into the cockpit if it would just blow the window out. (LE Mans Laps with only 1 side flap open and it pulled out one rivnut securing the window - not major but at 140 mph abviously a lot of air moving! Road speeds do not appear to pose a problem.)

So ideas please - must be some easy way to do this.

Thanks in advance
Ian

Ian, do you have any garden at the rear of the garage ? if so think putting another garage door in the back and do a drive through, turn the car around and drive out. I had an old friend in London with two cars and a single garage like yours, he built a railway style turntable at the back of his garage and drove right through, turned the car on the table and only ever had to drive forwards. he also built another single garage on top of his existing one and installed a four post lift, storing one car above the other. Frank

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Frank

Yes some garden but again the wife overruled me about chipping down the trees behind the garage.

I even volunteered to demolish the garage, remodel the rear garden to get the OK to build a bigger garage at the rear of the property - but again got the "NO" - it did inolve removing a rather old tree!

Possibly time to consider a bunker / cellar under the front drive accessed by a 4 post lift! Time to get me a JCB?

Ian

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
When I bought mine - I had to have the garage rebuilt and the drive relaid (its on a slope) to ensure the max change in attitude was less than 9 degrees, else the GTD nose fouled. Maybe you aught to consider "but the freezer/washing machine etc could be moved out there as well" option.

if all else fails, change the wife!;)

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ian

My ex wife gave me a similar ultimatum about my skydiving.

It was either her or skydiving.

I really don't miss her.

Dimi

Ian have you thought about fitting mk3 style door windows that can be quickly removed. A glass sunroof on an old car I used to have worked like that. You opened it then unclipped the catch to remove the glass. It was quick to remove and replace. Just a thought.
Kev Farrington.

Dimis solution sounds best for you !

Yeah Frank, but he might have to sell the car to get shot of her, unless he needs to lay a new patio of course :D

Best bet Ian is to move house, worked for me :)

How about a set of radio control gear, and drive it in remotely.
Or a pair of planks of wood that fit into something in the driveway and so guide the wheels, so you have no need to actually steer it into the garage.

My airplane survived 3 divorces, most things can be worked out!
This woman is unreasonable! All of your proposed solutions sound fair!
Dave

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Yes possibly time to change home
Anyone selling a Large double garage with a small home attached?

Actually I like the sound of the MK3 removable windows -any pictures - or better still any body know of some in manufacture?

Cheers
Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for that I knew there was a thread but the searching turned up nothing.

The DRB ones look good but AUD1000 = GBP500 plus freight , duty etc is a bit steep - cmpared to a coupe of minutes screwing / unscrewing the window.

It surprises me that there does not appear to be anyone using a sliding window. Perhaps I'll start seeing what I can fabricate.

Cheers all - more info still welcome
I also like Frank's idea but still like the security of a fixed window when parked.

Ian

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

On the off-chance you hadn't considered one this size...

Attachments

• sliding window.jpg
    sliding window.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 526

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Rent a storange unit down the street, hand your lovely child bride the bill and when she gets tired of paying the fees you get your garage widened. The alternative is you break your foot, lay off work and sit around the house nagging the "battle axe" with no income till she can't stand it any more. Either way the end result will be the same.

Better yet, cut off her make up allowance to pay the storage fee:
1) you will come out with money to spare
2) the "war department" won't stand for such a cut back and
she'll succomb to negotiations.
3) and remind her that when gravity takes over and the time comes for some remodeling, who's going to remember how nice she was to allow the new garage.

Oh yes, I get real creative when the better half gets controlling, why the nerve. Where do they get...................oh don't get me started!!!

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
This thread reminds me of my experience with my ex wife that taught me a very valuable lesson.

Before we were married I led a very sporting and active lifestyle which was what she was attracted to and led to our relationship.

After marriage and kids I was constantly being told that I am now married and should give up all my activities for family things and outings.

So in an effort to keep the peace I gradually gave up one thing after another till I had nothing left and was still being nagged to the point I one day woke up and realised I did nothing anymore and did not like what I had become at her insistence.

I then laid down the law and told her to stick it and went back to all the things I used to do before and haven't looked back since.

Sometimes enough is enough and you have to make a stand.

Do what you need to for your 40 and stand your ground.
You might be surprised at the outcome.

Dimi

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Alternatives to divorce - moving house - rebuilding garage - turntables - new window system etc - is a pair of Go-Jacks. Assuming you have a smooth enough surface, put them on the front tyres only, push the car b/w the houses as you can drag the car around. No need to steer car with the steering wheel.
The only other consideration would be to drive the car onto some planks in the garage to get the necessary clearance for the Go-Jacks.

The only other alternative is to start practicing your reversing technique..

Bill H

Pull it out slowly with a garden tractor stopping occaisonally to turn the wheel ... Removing the windows each time out would be such a pain...Hey, I'm with you, i get the willys just backing out of my normal sized garage!

I can lend you a tractor if you need it Ian, not sure where your gonna park it though. At least its got no side windows :D

Funny how a discussion on how to get your car in the garage has turned into how to get rid of your wife :D

Back