Tail Light Mounting - How'd you do it?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys,

I think I know how I am going to have to mount these tail lights but I'm not real nutty about the idea... Thought I'd run it past you guys to see how you may have done it or what you suggest.

I think I am going to have to carve a precise hole through the rear body and then sandwich the body between the lens and the plastic housing.. Probably have to RTV the housing to the body in order to make it relatively water tight..
There is a gasket on the lens itself that may seal to the body on the outside..

What are your thoughts?

Thanks..

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

cut_outs_09.jpg

I made the hole the same as the light housing (just behind the lens). There is enough of a lip on the light to keep it from falling in.
Jeff Hamilton

I did the same as Jeff and pushed them in from the back. I then took a piece of flat aluminum stock put two 90 degree bends in it, drilled two holes for the mounting lugs, and slipped it over the tail light housing from the inside. Sort of like how the gauges are mounted. Works great and preserves the seal on the tail light.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Randy,
I did is exactly as Mark did. Sized to hole for exact snug fit, then you can secure from the inside like a gauge in the dash.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys... I tried the sandwich thing and it didn't work so good... The fiberglass was too thick to use the standard screws and it's too uneven on the backside to seat and seal properly. I think I'll do the gauge thing.. I was looking at glassing in a bracket but that would probably be overkill...

I also mounted the license plate lights and a plate.. The tag lights are not level in the pic as they are not bolted in - just setting in there..

IMG_1939.jpg

Does everybody cut out the slot behind the license plate?

Back