Help! Original Seat Details Needed

What was the material used on the original GT40 racing seats? It looks like some sort of simple, black parachute nylon or the like. Does anyone know the name of the material and a possible source?

Also, were any of the seat grommets in the original cars in a brass finish? Or were they all chromed? Anyone happen to know the grommet diameter/size?

We're in the process of making some replacement seats for a Superformance GT40 MkI that will use thinner closed-cell padding. This will hopefully allow for more headroom with a helmet, and provide some resistance to water intrusion under the seat.

Thanks guys!

Kim

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Seat material was "ripstop nylon" as I understand. Not a really good material to use for seats as it burns and melts (this was covered in another thread some time ago) but is period correct. Grommets were brass I think......(don't ask my wife as she swears I don't think)!!!

Also original seats were not separate "seats" but suspended "slings" on straps strung across the tub. Think "NASA" spacecraft "couches" and you are closer than the bolt-in seats used by most replicas today.

I thought the grommets were nickel plated but could be wrong. It's tough to find a 'period correct' seat material look that won't melt to your ass in a fire...

Rip-stop nylon = pack some marshmallows ;)

Chris

How about black "Nomex", a similar look but definately flame-proof.

Whilst on original seat queries; is the original back plate that clips via DZUS fasteners to the bulkhead aluminium or fibre glass?

There have been a couple of photos of an original seat posted before on here (Chris Melia's mono build thread I think), but the seat is in such good condition is it hard to say :) (No cuts dents or scratches)

Cheers

Craig

Here is a picture I took inside the ex-JCB GT40. I was lucky enough to get 5 flying laps around Brands Hatch in it. You can see the seat material.

Last edited:
CraigB, I'm working on an original seat back right now and it's all fberglass even the little tab at the top for the DZUD fasteners

Some Pics of #1021; also has some nice inner door covers ( who said that they never had a pull strap for opening the door )
PICT2054.jpg

PICT2067.jpg

PICT2076.jpg

PICT2077.jpg

PICT2068.jpg

TOM

Many thanks, Tom and everyone else. Some great information and photos that will help in my project.

I'm thinking about using black Nomex, although its finish is less than authentic. I'd prefer a material that looks more like what you see in Tom's photos – while avoiding nylon which would melt in a fire. Probably doesn't exist, though.

Kim

Kim

you´re welcome. But look at Jimmymacs post and do a search for this hot air baloon stuff, i´m sure its close and fireproof ( should be if they use it there)

TOM

Found this info

In most modern hot air balloons, the envelope is constructed from long nylon gores, reinforced with sewn-in webbing. The gores, which extend from the base of the envelope to the crown, are made up of a number of smaller panels. Nylon works very well in balloons because it is lightweight, but it is also fairly sturdy and has a high melting temperature. The skirt, the nylon at the base of the envelope, is coated with special fire-resistant material, to keep the flame from igniting the balloon.

So for a high chance the original tectil should be black nylon. If it was coated, who knows?

I´m working in the textile business now (although i have no glue about textiles ) , but my company is in functional fabrics and i´m sure i can come up with something similar from our contract and workwear department. Will show them the pics and ask if we have some of this on stock ( which i want to reduce in my responsability as supply chain manager anyway)

TOM

James:

That looks like what the doctor ordered! The seat looks great – I'm now on the hunt for a hot air balloon supply company. (They're not on every street corner, but undoubtedly there's someone on the internet.)

Thanks to you and everyone else for their kind assistance. This board is the best:thumbsup:.

Happy holidays, guys!

Kim

Hi All, well the covermateral is solved, but where do I get the original style grommets, the inside siameterv is no problem but the outside is smaller than anyhting I have found so far here ?
We are making a new seat for a customer into his GT 4o and it should match the other seat.
Regards Stefan

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Black nylon ballistic cloth. The grommets are nickel-plated, not brass, in the original cars. (this from Racing Icons web site). An original car I have access to, 1072, has a black ballistic cloth interior.

Nylon may be original, but we are planning to use something else. Probably leather. And maybe leave out the grommets. Haven't decided yet.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
And maybe leave out the grommets. Haven't decided yet.

SACARILIGE!!!

A special place in Hell awaits those who
"leave out" the grommets!! It is not a "GT40" without them! As a design feature part of the "driver cooling system" (that sadly took too much horsepower via internal drag) the perforated seats as much a GT40 "icon" as the overall shape!!!!!

Hi Phil, Thank you for your recommendation.However to find the right matching ones I had to go overseas...and now I have ample supply.
I was making one supportive seat and had to have the exact matching ones and couldn't find them here in the US.Thank's for your help.

Pat

Supporter
What were the seats made out of in the MKIII? That may be a more user friendly solution while maintaining authenticity.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Not all GT40s had ballistic cloth seats, and not all of them had the grommets, either, although it is an historic look. View the photos of 1043 on Colin Comer's web site. it has its' original leather interior, and no grommets. I haven't decided about them, yet. They are the least of my concerns right about now. I eagerly look forward to the time when I have the luxury of worrying about grommets etc. That will be a great day.

Back