GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Technical Forums > GT40 Tech - Exterior, Interior, AC, & Trim

GT40 Tech - Exterior, Interior, AC, & Trim All that other stuff not in categories above.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2008, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mark Worthington
10 tenths
United States

GT40: RF No. 36
Rubber moulding for rear clip to spyder

OK, I've used the search function and looked at 38 pages of threads in this sub-forum but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I'm finalizing body prep and tweaking my panel gaps starting with the rear clip and working forward. Without using any sort of moulding, the horizontal surface at the front edge of the rear clip sits maybe 3/4 inch lower than the corresponding horizontal surface at the rear of the spyder. Everything else (sill panel at flares, sides of rear clip at sides of spyder) lines up nicely with the rear clip. On my RF the spyder has a half-circle groove at its rear edge into which some type of rubber moulding should fit. The problem is I'm not sure what the right stuff to use here. I think if I have the proper moulding the rear clip will rest on the rubber at the correct height and I'll need little or no body filler on either side of this panel gap.

My RF kit came with a big box of various rubber mouldings and edge treatments, but none of them seem right for this application unless I'm missing something. So I'd like to look at some close-up photos of the moulding people used in this application. Ideally, if any of the RF guys can describe the rubber moulding they used here that may also be helpful. Thanks.

RF Chassis No. 36 still under construction
347, MoTeC EFI, pin drives, leather, etc.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 29th December 2008, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mark Worthington
10 tenths
United States

Re: Rubber moulding for rear clip to spyder

Edit (???) - not 3/4 inch, only about 1/4 inch.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 1st January 2009, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mark Worthington
10 tenths
United States

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 1st January 2009, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chrissimp
2 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: RF kit#119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Worthington View Post
OK, I've used the search function and looked at 38 pages of threads in this sub-forum but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I'm finalizing body prep and tweaking my panel gaps starting with the rear clip and working forward. Without using any sort of moulding, the horizontal surface at the front edge of the rear clip sits maybe 3/4 inch lower than the corresponding horizontal surface at the rear of the spyder. Everything else (sill panel at flares, sides of rear clip at sides of spyder) lines up nicely with the rear clip. On my RF the spyder has a half-circle groove at its rear edge into which some type of rubber moulding should fit. The problem is I'm not sure what the right stuff to use here. I think if I have the proper moulding the rear clip will rest on the rubber at the correct height and I'll need little or no body filler on either side of this panel gap.

My RF kit came with a big box of various rubber mouldings and edge treatments, but none of them seem right for this application unless I'm missing something. So I'd like to look at some close-up photos of the moulding people used in this application. Ideally, if any of the RF guys can describe the rubber moulding they used here that may also be helpful. Thanks.
Hi Mark

I had the same problem with my RF. I have rectified it by attaching a length of the sealing strip supplied for the door openings along the top rear edge of the spider. The sealing strip is the one with the spongy tube that is clipped onto a flange round the door opening. Also I have it on the horizontal element of the spider only, ie not continuing down the sides. This completely cured the problem for me and the rear clip matches the spider perfectly now with no need for filler.

Hope this works for you.

Wishing you a happy New Year.

Chris
RF #119
Porsche 981 Cayman S
Old 1st January 2009, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United States

GT40: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Worthington View Post
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Why not contact the new Roaring Forties?
Old 1st January 2009, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
swede30
A Tenth
United States

GT40: RF 103

Good to see you're back on it Mark! I used a door weatherstrip from one of my donor vehicles. It raised the rear clip level just the correct amount. Send me your info and I'll UPS a strip next week.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010110.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	34933  

RF #103
C2 997 S
K 1200 GT
Old 2nd January 2009, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
EGLITOM
10 tenths
Germany

GT40: RCR40;LR331;G50

Hi Mark

check at

McMaster-Carr

type "rubber seal" into the search function and lots of different weatherstrippings will come up in hundret of sizes. Im sure you will find there what you need

TOM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mark Worthington
10 tenths
United States

Thanks guys for your helpful suggestions and photos. I'll rummage through my box of RF-supplied mouldings tonight, and if the door seal stuff doesn't work, I'll place yet another order with McMaster Carr. I knew I had seen what I wanted there before, but searching for rubber moulding, rubber trim, and weatherstripping didn't show me the products I was looking for. I think one of these two would be best suited for this application:

or

For future reference, these products are shown on pages 3368-3371 of the McMaster-Carr catalog.

Old 2nd January 2009, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
IanAnderson
United Kingdom

GT40: Dax 40 Mk1 (Rov

I used a closed cell membrane black self adhesive strip stuck to the lower face of the rear clip and this then rests on the lip of the spider portion. (The rubber lifts up with the clip and leaves the spider lines clean.

(not that anyone notices things like rubber extrusions when the clip is open)

I got mine from COH Baines http://www.coh-baines.co.uk/
Pages 91 / 92 if memory serves me right for the extrusions / draft excluders and page 103 for the self adhesive stuff I used

Ian
Old 2nd January 2009, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mark IV
Sponsoring Vendor
United States

GT40: Superformance

Try

Metro Moulded Parts Inc. Automotive Weatherstrip and Rubber Parts

And look at the profiles of the extruded rubber mouldings they produce.
Old 5th January 2009, 05:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
David Lowe
Australia

GT40: RF GT40 #133

Sorry Mark I missed your post earlier. This is what is on my recently completed RF GT40. Let me know if you want more details.
Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01671.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	35041   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01672.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	35042   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01674.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	35043  
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mark Worthington
10 tenths
United States

Thanks all for your advice and help, especially Jim who took the trouble to send me some moulding he used, and to Dave, whose pictures helped me identify the correct moulding among my few remaining unopened RF parts. I also like the idea of using only a short strip in the center of the spyder - less weight, less fitting and finishing.

I have come to the conclusion that the gap between my rear clip and spyder is too large at a hair over 1/4". The lip on the bottom of the rear clip needs to come forward a little so it rests closer to the middle of the half-circle-section channel in the rear of the spyder, otherwise the rear clip sits too high when the moulding is in place. Since I'm already committed with the locations of my rear hinges and body-locating cones and have tweaked the lower-rear-sill-to-rear-clip gap, can't move the rear clip forward to make up the gap. Therefore my only alternative seems to be to lay up a couple layers of mat fiberglass on the forward edge of the rear clip then sand the lip back from the inside.

Aint body work fun?