GTD aircon rad

I know most owners have moved the rad from the position next to the engine to the front of the car, but has anybody had success with it in it's original place? my old car had heat reflectors put up between the exhausts and the aircon rad, but as the system was not filled....It never worked!
Simon

Malcolm

Supporter
The engine bay heat did always work against the cooling of the air. So proper ducting will improve the situation but I doubt fully solve it. I do remember someone once saying that the compressor size also made a difference to cooling. But that eats BHP! But I have never fitted AC to my car so don't know a full on solution other than to move your rad to the front of the car.

I tried all shapes of ducting, shielding, insulating etc., with no success. The GTD condenser is just to small and in the wrong place to be effecient! CAV has had some success by greatly enlarging the condenser and turning it inline with the cars centerline. I belive the Iron Shiek has had success with a similar change. I moved mine to the front of the radiator and plumbed it with insulated stainless lines. I still use the small Sanden 505 compressor and the unit works well now. On a 100 degree day you won't get frozen out of the car but you will remain reasonablly comfortable. If the car sits out in the sun on a hot day and the interior gets well heat soaked, it will take a little time to cool everything down. All of the components are standard GTD (evaporator, dryer, compressor). The Condenser is the only different item. If you have the space to use a 507 and can install a larger evaporater under the dash that will also help a lot! See the "How to Corner" - Improving the GTD A/C

Last edited:
Back