This sound deadening great

Hi all,

I have been installing dynamat in my GT40 and it has made a huge change in reducing the drum effect and noise.

It is a very thin mat attached to an adhesive back. The front surface has an aluminum cover. I have installed it between the fibre glass and interior lining.

It is available through fhrx studios in Australia. I found it hard to get a supplier over here.

fhrx studios are an audio company and they use it in installs to reduce drum in stereo speakers.

The product is easy to install and is very reasonably priced at $230 Australian for enough to do the entire car.

It is interesting to see that it is also used in homes to reduce stereo noise and television noise between bedrooms and living areas - Mmmm perhaps another forum.

Cheers

Bernie

He probably used this stuff:

Dynamat Xtreme

I used a bunch of this stuff in my Pantera and it worked GREAT! The only downside (other than the cost) is the fairly high weight.

I've been told that there are other products now on the market that are superior, in that they dampen the noise and also insulate the heat (something Dynamat really doesn't do very well; I augmented my Dynamat with a layer of heat insulation on top).

This is one that a friend has used on his Ferrari 308; he loves it!

KoolMat Hi-Tech Heat Insulation

Another friend who restores Panteras for a living insists that this is the best product he's ever used. It needs to be applied using a spray gun (i.e. the type of equipment used to paint a car) which is limiting for most people.

Lizardskin Ceramic Insulation and Sound Control Spray-on Formula

Take your pick! :thumbsup:

I have used all three in the past and rank them in this order:
Lizardskin - best..
Koolmat Hi-Tech Heat Insulation - better adhesion possible, lighter than Dynamat.
Dynamat X-treme - heavy & adhesive doesn't like the heat

The lizardskin is applied by spray to about 1/4 inch thickness for best insulation.

I used the products from Second Skin and I'm very happy with the outcome. Sound is such a subjective thing that I'm hoping some day to compare two similar cars, mine and an unmodified car with a sound meter.

After removing the original carpet I applied their Damplifer Pro (like DynaMat) to most surfaces on the interior side of the car, I then glued their Luxury Liner Pro on top of that. Then I glued new carpet that was at least twice a heavy as the original onto the Luxury Liner. On the motor side of the firewall I added a piece of their Motor Mat Pro (heat and noise insulation) I painted the aluminum (the side facing the engine) black. It’s amazing I don’t notice it at all.

The Luxury Liner Pro has two layers. The thin part (1/8”) is heavy and reminds me of vinyl tile except more pliable the second layer (1/4”) is a heavy closed cell foam. In all I maybe added 50lbs. to the car but for me it is well worth it.

Some day the sound meter may make a liar out of me but until then I’m happy. One big thing for me was that I wanted to keep the kidney shaped indentation in the firewall. Because of this I had to learn how to mold (form) carpet. I not only did the indentation but the edges as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 506

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I wish I would have used the Lizard skin but the dynomat and 1/2 of foam insulation did a fantastic job. I have two engine covers, the SPF cover has 1700 degree foil back insulation on it and the one Olthoff sells I used the 1/2 foam and its incredible how it reduced the noise and heat. Before I got the other cover I had to put dense foam behind my seat at the top so my shoulders and arms didn't cramp during long drives. Also I had to use the foam so your head will be in the area of the Gurney bubble when using a helmet.

I started out with the Dynamat stuff. I used it and other Dynamat products in the door recess to help with the speakers. I also covered the central tunnel with it.
The Official Dynamat Website

P1010054.jpg

Dynamat makes several products of varing thickness and layers.
P1010056.jpg

I quickly made a cover for the engine right after fireup.
Will probably do one of two things. Either finish up with the Dynapad and finish off with carpet or leather. I like the way Richard did the Second Skin and may look into that as well. The Dynamat is found easily on Ebay from dealers or guys that have leftover and want to get rid of it. You can get some good pricing that way.
dynamat, great deals on Electronics, eBay Motors on eBay!

Bill

I used the dynamat on all of the interior surfaces.

I have even attached it to the roof section under trim. Additionally on all interior door panels to stop the drum..:idea:

Guessing I would say that I have reduced interior noise by about 40%...:idea:

Cost in total was just over $200

Thought I would post a few more pics now that the interior is almost done. I made a quick 2" piece of foam that sits in back of me so that me reach is correct. The only problem now my knees hit the bottom of the dash. Might have to make it more of a wedge shape, 2” at the top 1” at the bottom. I also added over an inch under my butt but it’s tapered as it goes forward and is gone by the time it gets to the highest point.

Attachments

• IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 501

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Found one!
Agriemach in East Sussex (01342 713743).
Has anyone had any dealings with them, as they seem to stock a wide range of Acoustic/Thermal barrier products?

Hi all,

I know that this Thread is a little old now, but thought I would update after seeing some additional interest.

I used the Dynamat in the doors and behind the seating area. I also used it in the roof spider section.

The floor section has the Dynamat and I have also added an under carpet sound isolation product that is in a underlay carpet form.

I have also used the dynamatt on the engine side attached to the aluminium panels.

The one item left to do is to make up a frame to take the double glazed section of glass that I will attach on the engine side of the body. The current window is perspex and is rubber inserted into the body. This will remain.

My thoughts are by adding the frame I can remove the entire rear double glazed window and clean it etc if needed.

I think it is about a 40% reduction at this stage. I will update when I add the removable double glazing.

Bernie

Last edited:
Back