wing mirror advice needed please?

Building a mark 1 recreation............what is the best wing mirror to get?
Tex bullet...............help!

Cookie,
The next question is seeing that you are based in the UK is: Are you planning to IVA the car?

If you are then you will potentially retrofit any mirrors you actually want after the test. Myself personally have looked for more modern mirrors to go that I can control inside the car. I am just about to start to work out how to wire up some Chrsyler Crossfire mirrors, as I think the they blend well and have the ability to be electrically adjusted, as well as already being E marked so they will pass the test. I don't plan on fitting bullets or Sebrings afterwards.

Brett

Thanks Guys - I have built a Mk1 to FIA spec to race next year - I am now just finishing it off and struggle to find pictures of cars racing with Bullets - the car I have recreated had them in period but I dont know what make they were..................that is what I am trying to find out.........thank you for your post replies

You almost assuredly are looking for some variety of Talbot mirror. They were widely used on any number of different European sports cars from the 1950s to the 1970s and should be widely available in the UK.

There were several different models available, differing in size and finish (most were chrome; some were satin finish).

Cookie,
The next question is seeing that you are based in the UK is: Are you planning to IVA the car?

If you are then you will potentially retrofit any mirrors you actually want after the test. Myself personally have looked for more modern mirrors to go that I can control inside the car. I am just about to start to work out how to wire up some Chrsyler Crossfire mirrors, as I think the they blend well and have the ability to be electrically adjusted, as well as already being E marked so they will pass the test. I don't plan on fitting bullets or Sebrings afterwards.

Brett

Brett,

Have you specced out these mirros yet for fit / finish etc... I'd be interested in your thoughts, as I am a long way from SVA, but if they will be compliant, they may suit me perfectly as I'm building a Gin Palace GT40 (i.e. road useable as often as possible):)

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks Guys - I have built a Mk1 to FIA spec to race next year -

If you're racing it then you probably don't want the Talbot mirrors. We bought a set of them mirrors but you can't see that well with them. So we put 5" convex mirrors on the rollbar and rear visibility is very good. The Talbot's look good but their visibility isn't that great in comparison to some more functional solutions. On a road car the Talbots might be ok where vibration, wind, and needed visibility isn't as pressing.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I like the Vitaloni mirrors, although I wish the new ones weren't plastic, it's a shame the metal ones aren't available anymore except as used items. (none in sight)

Brett,

Have you specced out these mirros yet for fit / finish etc... I'd be interested in your thoughts, as I am a long way from SVA, but if they will be compliant, they may suit me perfectly as I'm building a Gin Palace GT40 (i.e. road useable as often as possible)

Similar to me. I have placed them up to the door with another members help and sat inside the car and they give good visibility. Also, they don't look as bulky as the Mini mirrors. CUrrently evaluating whether I will have to cast a new rubber piece.

Unfortunately for me time to work on the car has been limited since my son was born earlier this year. My wife has promised my left over holiday for the year can be spent in the garage... sort of time off for good behaviour ;)

Brett

I have spotted a Honda Jazz, 2006 model, a bit bigger than the Crossfire but also has built in indicators as well as being electrically operated. Trying to source something to trial fit

Ant,
Looked at those, but for me I discounted them, as they stood relatively upright and the base was a bit chunkier. Also, there is an angular line in the middle which works on newer design but not on the curves of the 40 IMO.

975a_35.JPG

The one above is on FeeBay here: Honda Jazz 06> Manual Wing Door Mirror New O/S on eBay (end time 17-Nov-09 09:39:38 GMT)

Brett

cookie, for UK have you looked at Car builder solutions? they have various mirrors including SVA approved ones and I think bullets. They are a good source of parts and will be at the Exeter kit car show later this month (or at least I assume they will, they have been there the last two years)

Wow - overwhelmed with advice - found a shot of the car with a bullet aluminium so think that is the way to go

Guys,

I'm in a similar position in that I now want to decide what mirrors are best for road use. What are the preffered mounting locations? So far I have seen the following (hope these descriptions make sense!):

1) Mounting on top of front 'wing' area on the front clamshell. (I wasn't too keen on this idea because of distance, lack of adjustment, vibration etc)

2) 'A-pillar' at the side of the windscreen (again not good for adjustment and not a lot of room for mounting bracket etc)

3) Door 'edge', just below the bottom window edge on the side of the door?

4) 'Window mount' where I have seen some guys have made a plate that covers up the front corner of the windscreen and allows the mirror to be fitted. (I liked this idea as it might be possible to have a manual adjuster inside the car?)

I'd appreciate any thoughts/experince you can offer. I'd definitely like to be able to adjust from inside the car....but if some of you have tried something else that works then I am happy to bow to experience!

M.

maybe Vitaloni Californian or Sebring black/chrome...or look at the more modern CAV 131 wingmirrors, they are "big" but look good on that car.

Cheers,

I had a look at the first two, but couldn't find the third one - have you any links/pics for the CAV 131 wingmirror?

I found a small "blind spot" mirror places INSIDE the door on the ledge inside the window, a lifesaver.

Simon

That sounds like a good idea Simon. What mirrors are you using? I've been looking at Europa spares etc....I have also been looking at some of the motorbike mirrors - they seem to go out that bit further which might help to see over the rear wheel arch.

Back