What do you coat or paint your underside fiberglass?

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Looking for suggestions on what to use to coat or paint the underside raw fiberglass? Regular paint? Some kind of coating? Any gotchas I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Zolatone is a type of textured speckle paint that is used on the inside of fiberglass boats and aircraft. the speckles help hide the rough glass surface and can be applied on fiber glass without primer. here how it looks painted on the fiberglass weave of the inside of an aircraft canopy frame. Zolatone

Attachments

• DSCF1698.jpg
    DSCF1698.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 871
BigB98
There is a product that Wurth used to sell, and I think Lawson has it also, I think they call it chip quard or body schutz , used a lot on rockers and then painted over. It remains pliable but I have only seen it in black, and it requires a special gun to apply, (about $60), tough stuff and it can be applied pretty heavily. It also has some sound deadening properties as well.
Cheers
Phil

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We are using a high-build epoxy filler that is basically body filler applied as a liquid with a large-orifice gun. It dries four mils thick and will fill and level pinholes etc. That is then sanded a bit and the final inside coat, which is a dull black- actually Sikkens black but with a flattening agent mixed into it- sprayed on. We want a finish that isn't shiny, that's durable, and will allow us to apply heat shielding to the inside of the rear bodywork. The heat shielding is an aluminized fiberglass mat that has an adhesive on it. Hopefully this will keep some of the heat radiated off the engine and exhaust pipes from cracking the rear deck fiberglass...

Pat

Supporter
Spray on truck bed liner works great. It's durable, reasonably priced and easy to touch up. You can get it in a spray can or mix it yourself.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
There is a local Cobra guy that has a Rhino lining setup. PM me if you are interested.

Back