Electric rivet gun?

Hi all

I am going to be starting my build very soon and one job I am not looking forward to is riveting. I was planning to use a standard hand tool as I don't want to buy a compressor etc for an air operated gun.

However I stumbled across a product called RiveDrill which apparently turns any cordless drill into a riveter.

S-B Rivet Guns | RiveDrill Rivet Gun Attachment for Cordless Drills

Has anyone used this or a similar system, does it work and would it be suitable for fitting my aluminum panels to my GT40?

Thanks

Trev

www.gt40builder.com

Hi Trevor,

I´m using mine with good results.

The catch is that you need a cordless drill with loads of torque, a 12V doesn´t have enough power, 14 V at least is the better choice.

Best,
Marcus

Trevor

Looks to work ok in the video. It makes the whole tool long as against a normal hang rivet tool, I am just thinking you will need both to get into the tight spots. ps Dont forget to get some avdels or cleco's to hold things in place while fitting, cutting and measuring.
Will you be sealing the panels to the frame at all? On my build I sikoflexed most panels. I would still consider a compressor as they are so handy that way an air rivet gun and air mastic gun can be used.
That last gun is expensive, I think it would be cheaper the compressor route.

Regards Martin

Attachments

• IMG_6738.jpg
    IMG_6738.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Hi Martin

ohh, those Cleco's look very good. Do you know what size I would need to use?

The panels for my build will be sealed using Polyurethane sealant before riveting. Also I am planning on using the Tornado recommended rivets which are aluminium pop rivets. I've heard a few people saying they use stainless steel rivets. Do you know what the benefit of using stainless rivots? Is it to avoid corrosion?

Trev

Where abouts in the UK are you Trev ? Bardolphs in Battersea, London sell a similar tool to the cleko and just as good but far cheaper in cost.

Trev

I used 3mm rivets on my build so 1/8th avdels/cleco's and 3.2mm drills. Some people use 4mm rivets. I am not sure what size Andy reccomends, personal choice as much as anything.
I used stainless rivets for the floor as its a stainless unit, these were self sealing. I am not sure of the water tightness though.

Regards Martin.

Attachments

• IMG_5761.jpg
    IMG_5761.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_5766.jpg
    IMG_5766.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 291
I use a Gesipa Accubird for work. they are very good.

We mostly use 3/16 stainless steel Huck rivets.

It will pull around 200 on a charge which is great.

Comes with multiple tips for different rivets, I would give it a big thumbs up.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi guys

Right just to confirm I am going to order some cleco's from LAS aerospace. Ill be using 4mm rivots throughout some can anyone tell me what size this relates to on thier sizing chart. Is it black - 5/32”?

Thanks

Trev

5/32" is 3.968mm (multiply by 25.4), so black are the ones you need for 4 mm rivets

Regards
Andy

Cheers Andy, I've order a batch to see how I get on with them. My chassis is off to be powder coated next week so its getting close to pick up. Can't wait

Back