Stewart Warner Gauges

HI I just unboxed the Gauges for the dash and the needle for the tach is loose behind the lens and I see no way of reattaching it. Any suggestions of who can repair this. Thanks :sad:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think I would send it back to S-W for them to repair/replace it..

Wally,
I believe if You check the paper work that came with your gauges, it should tell you to send it back to S-W and not the dealer you bought it from. I was sent the wrong lenght for the trans cooler and they exchanged it without any problem. Part # snafu.

Bill

Thanks Randy & Bill I contacted SW Repair, They told Me thy no longer service these ( willing to sell Me a replacement $ 1++.++ + S/H ) . So I took it to the local Speedo Shop when he noticed this was crimped he said he could fix the needle But the trim ring would get all bent and twisted getting it off. So I have it back home and am looking for someone that can fix this. Thanks in advance Wally PS These came with the car and are in SMITH boxes and NO paper work. SW told me this was made in 1991

Ron Earp

Admin
S&W tech support and repair is poor at best, in my opinion. I had a problem with the S&W tach on the T70 and never got a resolution from tech support. After that I dealt with a polite dealer but the knowledge just wasn't there to get this particular tach to work correctly with a Ford V8 and MSD ignition (go figure, only thing more common is a Chevy V8 and MSD). In the end I wrote them a nice letter trying to point out ways they could improve their customer service. What I got in response was "this is the way we're always done it and we're doing fine".

My car now has a Autometer tach and Autometer speedo. Both worked well out of the box. YMMV. I've a feeling if Autometer was around "back in the day" then that is what you'd have found on competition cars.

Ron

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Randy & Bill I contacted SW Repair, They told Me thy no longer service these ( willing to sell Me a replacement $ 1++.++ + S/H ) . So I took it to the local Speedo Shop when he noticed this was crimped he said he could fix the needle But the trim ring would get all bent and twisted getting it off. So I have it back home and am looking for someone that can fix this. Thanks in advance Wally PS These came with the car and are in SMITH boxes and NO paper work. SW told me this was made in 1991

Hi Wally,

I was not aware that your gauge was almost 20 years old.
If replacing the single gauge is not the desired option - You may be able to remove the crimped on gauge bezel by using a Dremel tool or other suitable grinder by carefully cutting off the back side of the crimped face. You could possibly cut off just half of the crimp on the back side (say the bottom half) and then slide the bezel up and off of the gauge body. Then the needle could be serviced and the bezel re-installed with a bit of sealant or epoxy to make it dust-proof once again.

HI Guys Thanks, I was hoping for better news on SW service. Just got back from the snowplow shop, One of the Guys there is the Grandson of ``The Speedo Man ' ' ( Sadly He's no longer with us ) He said his Grandfather made the tools to roll these off from paint lid lifters and put them back on with a modified pair of Duckbill pliers. I'm going to stop at the paint store on My way to work and pickup some lid lifters and see if I can do this without cutting the band.

HI All Surgery was a success.Got home about midnight, ground the lid lifters thin on the front edge and was able to bend the ring back and slip it off. Only wasn't sure it was in the right location so I put power to it to lock it in at zero and pressed the needle back on. The pliers with one jaw ground short and some Heat shrink on them to protect the ring worked great from the front you can't tell this has been off, The back isn't pretty but relatively flat.

Back