Steering Wheel Clearance

HI I'm adding a Quick disconnect to my steering columb and want to know how far from the dash should the steering wheel set ??? As I have the columb out I can remount to make this distance correct. Thanks

Wally,
Depending on what type of column you have and the other things that you need in the car at that point, like the center console, pedal box, and seat placement, the proper placement will be up to you. Find a position that is comfortable and that will be O. K. I looked at the placement of the wheel and the driver position by ooking at the Nascar guys in the interviews they would do just before a race started.
How I mounted mine, was to weld the fitting onto the colum at a distance that I considered too far away from the dash. Mounted all the other pieces and then sat in the car and mounted the steering wheel. It was as I figured too close to me. I took the steering wheel off the quick connect, and slid it up and down the column until I had a location that was comfortable for me. Marked it on the column and then cut it at the other end(where the u joint is). You have to decide if you like driving with your elbow on the console, or not. Things like that. The column will be your guide for where the placement/orientation should wind up. Set the vertical height at this time as well. Be sure you can turn the wheel without encountering any obstacles(like your belly etc.). Have the front wheels off the ground for that test. Some people like to drive with their arms extended(Italian cars). Some like them supported. Just decide for yourself and anyone else that might be driving the car. As if that's going to happen!!

Bill

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
And allow wnough distance between gloved knuckles / fingers and the switches - bit of a problem is you hit them while making a quick steering adjustment

Regards
Ian

HI Thanks Ian & Bill, I was looking at the Manual they want 127 MM ( 5" ) round the wheel for IVA . So is this required to be 5" from the dash also ??? As these cars are all clones the distance should be set especially on the rollers.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Wally

From memory at SVA (The test before the new IVA came in) we were allowed any switches etc within 127mm of the steering wheel.

Tkhing the GT40 wheel at 14 inch diameter 7 in radius (177mm) we could place Lucas style switches within 127 + 177mm (304mm) of the column center any switches further out had to have raduissed edges etc.

The distance from theedge of the dash to the wheel from memory was free. Being 6'3" I need as much space as possible and moving the wheel forward assisted - but I had to allow for the switches - grazed knuckle to prove it!

IAn

Hi, Ian and Wally,

Im at a similar stage on my GT40,and Im sure you are correct Ian in saying. The distance from the dash to the wheel is free....

The only thing to notice is,You have to draw a horizontal line from the bottom of the steering wheel. Any switches below this would have to be the correct lenght and have the correct raduis

mick

HI Guys As this is in the USA. I don't know if any of the SVA/IVA will mean anything. An inspection mechanic friend stopped by today and told Me to hold off putting the quick disconnect on the wheel at this time as they have had to fail several cars for inspection that have had Q.D.'s on them ( maybe they where not OEM ) He is going to check and see if this is an issue with a SPECIALLY Constructed Vehicle here in PA. As We were talking he mentioned I had went to look at some of these Local. So I'm going to call Rick at Time Machine and see if He will measure one of the cars He has there. That should be a good measurement to start with.

Back